CPU Fan Speed can't go below 1100RPM on Asus P5Q3

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Quietstick
Friend of SPCR

CPU Fan Speed can't go below 1100RPM on Asus P5Q3

Post by Quietstick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:47 am

Hi all

Problem: I can't get the CPU fan to go below 1100rpm on my Asus P5Q3

I use the PC as a media centre and the CPU is frequently at 25C so I'm sure this is still higher than required. Just seems to be the default minimum on all the Asus software: Running EPU6 engine, it switches to 'power saving'. Tried the AI Suite and also no joy. This fan is the major source of noise at the moment. :(

Question: Is there a software or BIOS setting I can use to further reduce this speed?

Of course, I want it to be part of a profile where it increases as required.

Thanks in advance! :D

burebista

Post by burebista » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:08 am

Try Speedfan. Latest beta works at last with my P5Q-E changing CPu fan speed. Here is the problem described and resolved.

Klusu

Post by Klusu » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:38 am

That is another problem resolved. One of the last posts: "Yes I'm able to change the CPU fan speed finally :-) from ~1100RPM to ~2500RPM."
I think no software will reduce below your 1100rpm.
See here:
viewtopic.php?t=54708&highlight=
Edit: I have P5K-Premium. I can not adjust cpufan to 0.
Last edited by Klusu on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

burebista

Post by burebista » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:16 am

Klusu wrote:I think no software will reduce below your 1100rpm.
I have a Scythe KAMA PWM. Now with SpeedFan I can used it from 0 to 1200 RPM. ;)

Quietstick
Friend of SPCR

Post by Quietstick » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:04 pm

^^
Thanks for the replies and clarifications guys! :)

Yea, a lot of the hardware and software seem to have a minimum 1500rpm - think they're more geared to higher rpms, overclockers!

Could you please give me more detail why it took a while to get it working on your Asus motherboard? :?:

I checked the bugtrack link - was it a setting / glitch, now fixed in Beta version 4.40?

NB: Looking at what Speedfan can do: It looks like there may be conflict with my existing Asus EPU6 fan/power controller. This is working really well and I don't want to risk crashing the whole thing now.

Thanks so much people! :D

burebista

Post by burebista » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:33 pm

Quietstick wrote:I checked the bugtrack link - was it a setting / glitch, now fixed in Beta version 4.40?
Yep, that's was. It took a while until Alfredo nailed it but now I'm very happy.
Quietstick wrote:It looks like there may be conflict with my existing Asus EPU6 fan/power controller.
I don't understand. What have EPU6 software to do with fans? That's for your power options. I've used it in the past but now I don't have anything ASUS related software in my PC.

markyb

Post by markyb » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:26 am

There is an option to make them "silent" as a default with max power savings on auto. But its also possible to make them as bios then you can go about altering the fan speed with other software. The software seems to be very heavy and takes around 20% of my E8400 just to run AI suite.. :shock:

Have you also tried a update to your bios and software? After reading some info the EPU6 doesnt keep the changes in the earlier bios's Im updated to the lastest and all is running fine on a PQ5 deluxe. Also the minimum i can have the cpu fan (arctic cooling freezer pro7) is around 900 rpm which isnt really causing any problems at that. its the case fans that is causing my "uneasiness" as AI suite and speed fan are telling me that both case fans are 0 rpm and they are close to stalling. Im now going the fanmate2 route and use the case fan on the EPu6 engine as bios default.

Quietstick
Friend of SPCR

Post by Quietstick » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:20 am

burebista wrote: I don't understand. What have EPU6 software to do with fans? That's for your power options. I've used it in the past but now I don't have anything ASUS related software in my PC.
Thanks again for the replies! :)

The 6 things the latest EPU controls is CPU, Fans, HDD, Graphics Card (only if Asus), Memory RAM and Hard disks. There seemed to be some overlap with what Fanspeed controls: hence my concerns with two programmes running and trying to control the same things.

I think I might bite the bullet and try it anyhow - maybe the last full release (4.39) first. I'll just image the disk first. :wink:

Mark, the Bios is the latest. No issues with EPU not saving settings. NB: On 'silent' fan setting in EPU, AI and Bios, it is min 1100rpm. I'm running Q9550 and its usage is minimal. I'm not running AI suite, that is a seperate Asus utility to the EPU (although there's some crossover / I don't use the AI Nap as that didn't work with limited accounts and Asus support were unhelpful :evil: )

Case fans.... I have two on my Coolermaster Sileo 500 - supposedly off on Silent but running at 500rpm and quieter than the CPU fan so leaving those alone for now. I have considered disconnecting the one at the back as I figured the front bottom one next to the hard drives, plus the draw from the PSU fan on the back top will provide enough active / passive airflow through the system and over the GPU (Sapphire 4350HD fanless, idles 35-55C) and motherboard. I'll post again after I've tried that out.

ADDENDUM: For brevity, I didn't mention in the original post that a big incentive for slowing the CPU fan down is that I'm getting some case hum which varies from 0.3 to about 1 Hz - by far the most annoying noise!! I'm hoping this will clear with a lower CPU speed. NB: The case is already sitting on thick foam feet! Crap original plastic feet provided. Off topic here but not too impressed by this case really.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:29 am

Hi, I only skimmed through the post and another problem can be even if the motherboard sets less than 25/30% PWM speed to the fan it doesn't run any slower. In fact I think this is the "proper" behaviour for a PWM fan, at least in a CPU situation.
I had similar issu with Zalman 9000 cooler, the lowest fan speed was ~30% about 1300rpm and not quiet enough, setting lower speed with speedfan had no effect. I got round the problem by adding a fanmate in to the setup to lower the fans range, ie changing the 1300-2600rpm fan in to 900-1900rpm fan. see here.
Regards, Seb

Klusu

Post by Klusu » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:15 am

I think it's not "another" problem. Setting 0% with Speedfan does not mean the MB has set 0%. I would be surprised to see there is some min limit in the fan.
I think "proper" is to allow me set what I want..

burebista

Post by burebista » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:52 pm

Klusu wrote:Setting 0% with Speedfan does not mean the MB has set 0%.
Yes, you're right. Setting 0 in SpeedFan is like setting 21% in QFan. MB doesn't all to turn off CPU fan. :(
System fans are fine, I can turn them off but not for CPU fan.

Quietstick
Friend of SPCR

Now what?? :-o

Post by Quietstick » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm

burebista wrote:
Klusu wrote:I think no software will reduce below your 1100rpm.
I have a Scythe KAMA PWM. Now with SpeedFan I can used it from 0 to 1200 RPM. ;)
And above two posts ^^.

Are you saying that it probably isn't possible to down regulate the CPU fan to below 1100rpm? :o

Well, I already had HTFUd and downloaded Speedfan 4.39 (before reading the above 2 posts ).
No control on any fans.
Disabled QFan control in BIOS. No control still.
Stopped EPU6 from loading at start up. No control still.
= Speedfan 4.39 does not work with my P5Q3 setup.

(You'll be proud of how brave I've become... :wink: :wink: )
OK, I download the beta 4.44 version of Speedfan.
Tried controlling the fans. Case fans x 2 stepping 0 - 500 - 700 rpm only, couldn't work out at what % setting for either. CPU fan locked at maximum 2500rpm.
Wondering if sensor issue with Case fans because there were intermittent readings of 2000-7000rpm for each. Launched Asus {EDIT: PC PROBE II} monitor. Screen froze. Soft power off.
Now PC clicks on but does not go any further (no POST).
= Speedfan beta 4.44 a bit better control, but not ideal AND has crashed my system (possibly because of conflict with Asus {EDIT: PC PROBE II}.)

NB: I tried all combinations of settings from setting Speed range 0-100% to 0-1% to 99-100% and it doesn't make any difference. I was about to to change the threshold temps - would probably have worked somewhat as it was 35-50 and the CPU was running about 44C, although none of the 'automatic fan control' boxes were checked.

What now? :shock: :shock: Any suggestions gratefully accepted :D

Not feeling brave now.... maybe stupid? :cry: [/b]
Last edited by Quietstick on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

burebista

Post by burebista » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Yes man, I've had the impression that setting 0 in SpeedFan equals 0 with MB but it seems that MB ignores CPU fan speed <21% in SpeedFan.
Sorry for misleading. :(

For beta I must put on Manual all entries for PWM mode (see below).

OK, to sum up for my P5Q-E and latest SpeedFan beta:
- System fans works fine from 0-100%
- CPU fan works OK from 21-100%, setting it <21% in SpeedFan has no efect on CPU fan (still remains at 21%).

I guess that you're stuck at 1100 RPM for CPU fan. All you can do it's to change it with one with less max. RPM's.

Quietstick
Friend of SPCR

Post by Quietstick » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:02 am

Cheers for clarifying mate! Like you said in your signature.... :wink:

now it's broke. :cry:

Anyone with suggestions on how to revive a PC that just gives a little click, stops, then clicks again [repeated] when you try to turn it on? :roll:

burebista

Re: Now what?? :-o

Post by burebista » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:35 am

Quietstick wrote: Launched Asus True Vector monitor. Screen froze. Soft power off.
Now PC clicks on but does not go any further (no POST).
What is ASUS True Vector monitor? :?: Only True Monitor that I'm aware is from Zone Alarm.

TBH SpeedFan has nothing to do with your no POST nightmare.

Quietstick
Friend of SPCR

Re: Now what?? :-o

Post by Quietstick » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:27 am

burebista wrote: What is ASUS True Vector monitor? :?: Only True Monitor that I'm aware is from Zone Alarm.

TBH SpeedFan has nothing to do with your no POST nightmare.
Whoops, sorry PC Probe II I mean - have edited previous post. If not SpeedFan, the only thing different, what? :)

burebista

Post by burebista » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:32 am

SpeedFan starts only when you're logged in. I understand that your rig cannot POST so it looks like a hardware problem to me rather a software one.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:05 am

Suggestions to get PC working again:
Remove/disconnect anything unnecessary, basically want Motherboard, CPU + Cooler, single stick of RAM and video card.
With power cord removed from wall press power switch on PC several times, often lights flash briefly as this discharges the PSU.
Reset the CMOS (usually by jumper or button on high-end boards, removing battery also works)
Try different sticks of RAM, one at a time and try different slots.
If available try different PSU and video card.

If get it working again add drives, cards, RAM etc one at a time till problem comes back or all works again.

Quietstick, what fan are you using on your CPU?
Some (probably most) PWM fans have a built in minimum speed. It doesn't matter whether the motherboard, Speedfan or whatever sends a lower speed as it is ignored by the electronics in the fan itself.

http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5C ... Public.pdf
3.4 - Operation below Minimum RPM
For all duty cycles less than the minimum duty cycle, the RPM shall not be greater than the
minimum RPM. The following graphs and definitions show three recommended solutions to
handle PWM duty cycles that are less than the minimum operational RPM, as a percentage of
maximum.
In a Type A implementation the fan will run at minimum RPM for all PWM duty cycle values less
than minimum duty cycle. The minimum fan speed is controlled by design and can not be
overridden by the external fan speed controller. See Figure 3.
Some PWM fans will run ever slower at lower % setting right down 0% = 0rpm, others can run at their minimum, typically 20-30%, at lower PWM settings apart from 0% = 0rpm. Many run at their minimum speed for any PWM setting lower than minimum, I believe Intel retail box coolers fall in to this category, as does my Zalman 9500AT.

If you wish to over-ride the minimum speed limit of the fan itself then please look at link in my previous post regarding adding a fanmate in to the setup to lower the controlled speed range of the fan. If this is not the issue you are experiencing then my apologies.
Regards, Seb

Quietstick
Friend of SPCR

Thanks for the assistance!

Post by Quietstick » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi Seb

Thank you for your detailed offer of help.

You are right, that's what I want. I was exploring the software options first. Would you be able to explain why and how a fanmate is able to lower the speed / 'trick' the fan? Just very interested in these workings now! Much appreciated!! :D :D

I'll start by resetting the CMOS. I think Speedfan did cause the no-start by alterting the CPU fan settings somehow, and making the POST process abort because the fan is not detected.

My fan is the Intel standard boxed fan / heatsink combo for the Q9550.

Klusu

Post by Klusu » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks Seb, I learned something.
This time you made me check my fan. Indeed, type A, min limit built into the fan, not the MB.
I wonder why this is such a secret. Should be in each fan's description. I would choose not type A. The industry's conspiracy against SPCR crowd...
A fanmate can help. A simple resistor about 50-100Ω in the +12V wire can, too. Reducing the max speed also. I.e., the entire range (which is good, but not always). Sort of defeating the PWM idea (just a little).

If Speedfan changed fan settings, CMOS reset should fix that. But, if that was the case, POST should display some message.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:45 am

Hi, the fan mate helps by dropping the 12V power to the fan, this is the same effect as Klusu's resistor, but adjustable.
As I understand it the fan's electronics try to maintain a certain speed defined by the PWM signal. As you drop the 12V at a certain point the fan isn't able to maintain the speed as it's intended to do and runs a bit slower than it's supposed to. This seams to apply across the whole speed range. This voltage control seams to be pretty sensitive, i.e. small adjustments of the fanmate would give big change in the fan speed. I don’t know enough about electronics to explain this but if you look at SPCRs measures of PWM fans they typically fall off in speed very quickly, often the lowest workable voltage is ~9V.

Did you have any luck getting PC to work again?

Seb

Quietstick
Friend of SPCR

Back on!

Post by Quietstick » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi Seb

Thanks for your explanation and advice and concern! :) :D 8)

Yes, I'm back on. Thanks. Reset the CMOS and it was fine - still sure that SpeedFan mucked up the CPU fan settings so the MoBo was stopping the boot as a safety precaution.

Looks like I'll have to try the Fan Mate. Do you or anyone else have experiences with other fan controllers - like 5.25" panel ones? Will they be just as effective as the Fan Mate then - if hooked up as per your instructions?

I've seen a few going cheap locally. Hmm, but they do have BRIGHT LEDS - gamers delight I guess. NB: My PC is also Dark, as well as quiet! Have disabled the front panel LED's or put translucent tape over shining things, disabled the beep, etc.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:26 am

Hi, yes any fan controller should be able to drop the voltage to a PWM fan and thus drop the working range.
Or just ignore the PWM speed control and just use the fan controller, the downside is the fan maybe sensitive, very small adjustments of fan controller needed to get desired speed.
Seb

Quietstick
Friend of SPCR

Update

Post by Quietstick » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:38 am

Hi Seb, everyone...

Just a quick update.

Decoupled HDDs: I took the HDDs out of their mounts and put one on the foam floor and the other in the cage (also on foam, tight fit sideways) and it made an amazing difference. The hum is pretty much gone. NB: The WD10EADS got to 46C when sitting under the Samsung HD103UJ (which starts at 44C and stays there no matter what I've tried) - so I moved the former to the bottom of the drive cage and it peaks at about 38C.

PSU fan is pretty 'loud' too: I've got a Cooler Master extreme ATX 550W which has a large quiet fan in its base. After I decoupled the HDDs, I listened again and I think this may be the loudest sound (relatively speaking - it is pretty quiet really).

Decided it wasn't worth lowering CPU fan speed with Fanmate: For the small cost and moderate effort, the PSU fan would make the whole setup sound as loud.

Managed to shut off chassis fans: I also found that putting the EPU on Max power saving vs Auto, the case fans actually shut off - they should but don't on Auto, even when it switches to Max power savings :?: I decided I'd rather have the chassis fans off and the CPU fan spinning around 1200-1400 BUT motherboard temps stable at about 50C - Is this too high? I had a read around and it seems to be high but still acceptable (Otherwise it's normally about 42-45C, ambient about 22C)

I'm sleeping thru the current sound levels. I think if I'm going to quieten this down anymore: it'll be a different PSU (Nexus Value 430 will do the job) and a CPU heatsink / fanmate plus quieter chassis fans = may be a lot for not much gain.

Once again, very grateful for everyone's offers of help, especially Seb. :D :D :D