figuring out fans/airflow/cooling for Mini P180 Core i5 box

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nothingworks

figuring out fans/airflow/cooling for Mini P180 Core i5 box

Post by nothingworks » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Hello. I'm trying to finally spec out my Mini P180 performance build. I bought the case three months ago, so it's about time I start trying to fill it up. I've read a lot of good threads and reviews here, but everything's starting to blur. Could use some good feedback!

This is going to be an i5 performance/gaming machine. I'll be doing everything on this (from image editing, to encoding, to browsing, to playing the latest games). I definitely plan on OCing the CPU, but will probably leave the GPU alone, and have no plans for CF/SLI; I'll always be running a single video card.

I won't kid myself into wanting a silent machine, but I would like this to be very quiet when it can be (e.g., browsing or working on a spreadsheet), and stay cool and reasonably quiet if I'm gaming it up.

case: Antec Mini P180
CPU: Intel Core i5 750
mobo: Gigabyte P55M-UD4
audio: X-Fi Platinum (card + I/O bay)
GPU: 1 GB ATI HD 4870
RAM: 4-6 GB
HD: TBD
DVD: TBD

Quiet cooling-related plans:
- replace stock 120mm TriCool fan at rear
- add front 120mm fan
- add CPU HS + fan (Noctua NH-U12P, or Scythe Mugen-2?)
- add passive GPU cooling (Thermalright HR-03 GT?)
- down-volt top 200mm TriCool to run at low RPM
- add Scythe Kaze Master Ace KM02; control front, rear, and HS fans

Questions about my cooling plans:
1) So far, I've had Nexus Real Silent and Scythe Slipstream as recommendations 120mm fan replacements. Any others I should consider?

2) Given the CPU (i5), CPU OCing (yes), GPU (4870), and GPU non-OCing and non-CFing, do you think passive GPU cooling for something like a 4870 will work out, or am I asking for trouble?

3) About airflow: I'm envisioning weak air (when the front door is closed) moving from the lower front toward the GPU; rising heat will move out the top and rear; this GPU heat is passing the CPU. In light of this, how important is HSF orientation? Does socket-1156 mounting enforce a particular orientation for the HSF? For example, the Noctua NH-U12P has two fans that I assume pull air outward; can I orient these to avoid air current conflicts?

4) Any other HSF recommendations? I have no problem favouring a more expensive HSF that's less of a pain to install.

5) Any other passive GPU cooler recommendations aside from the Arctic Cooling Accelero 1 r2, or the Thermalright HR-03 GT?

There's a lot to think about, but truth be told I'd rather put in the time up front and minimize post-build tweaking. I'm grateful for any feedback.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:18 pm

Some random thoughts/ideas:

Passively cooling a 4870 will be difficult. An Accelero S1 Rev 2 would be the best option here (as the Thermalright heatsink is not really designed for passive cooling), but apparently VRM temperatures get very hot. (Do a forum search here and you might find a few threads discussing this issue). You could also try the Thermalright TRad-series of coolers, which are also reputed to be good, and couple it with a few quiet fans.

Have you considered one of Sapphire's cards with the Vapor-X cooler instead - apparently they are very quiet.

Also, have you looked at the reviews for the new 5770 and 5850?

As for HDDs, if your budget can stretch to a reasonable SSD + a 5400rpm 3.5 inch HDD for storage (Samsung EcoGreen or WD Green) suspended in a 5.25 inch bay, things should be pretty quiet. (A suspended notebook 2.5 inch HDD is also an option for storage).

The Nexus Real Silent and Slipstream 800rpm and 1200rpm are good fan choices.

As for CPU cooling, also have a look at the Prolimatech Mega Shadow (socket 1156 compatible version of the Megahalems). You could also consider copying Noctua's setup of two fans in a push/pull configuration for the Mega Shadow or the Mugen 2 - the SPCR review of the Mugen 2 tried this with two Nexus fans and found it was pretty effective.

rhys j

Post by rhys j » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:55 pm

OK I'm no expert, but I'm doing a similar project so here are some thoughts:

It'll probably be really really easy, so long as you don't require it to be completely silent.

HD: get a Samsung Spinpoint F3. Fastest HD available, silent, and cheap! I have one not suspended, just sitting on some silicone grommets in the lower drive bay, and it's totally inaudible.

Heatsink: The i5 thermal design power rating is only 95W, so I'm sure you can run a CPU cooler on it passively for everyday use and gaming. If you're trying to overclock to the max you'll want a fan on it, but with that fan controller you can just turn it on when required. The Thermalright True Black is a good choice and beats many water cooling systems, but is expensive. Scythe good too. Get a low RPM fan since there's a huge jump in cooling from nothing to 600rpm (which is still silent) but dimishing returns and growing noise thereafter. Personally I don't see much benefit in overclocking an already very fast chip though. Your games won't play any better. It may encode video slightly faster but that's about it.

Front fan: wouldn't bother with this. See my thread in this forum. It is very ineffectual - just turn the thing off or remove it.

GPU cooling: Don't know what the stock cooling is like, but if you can slow the fan speed it should be very quiet. If it has a rear exhaust that's also very beneficial. My GTX 260 downclocks when not doing any 3D - I don't know if the ATI cards do the same, but these days the fans are very quiet at low speeds, to the extent that passive cooling isn't of much benefit, especially since at idle the case fans will be noisier.
Last edited by rhys j on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:00 pm

so just wondering, why the ud4 version of the motherboard over the ud2?

I will try to post back with more constructive comments later...