Chipset cooling for GA-EP45-DS3R?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KlaymenDK

Chipset cooling for GA-EP45-DS3R?

Post by KlaymenDK » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:27 am

Hi,
I'm quite happy with my build based on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R motherboard in an Antec P182. My temps are okay -- the cpu remains almost cold to the touch under its huge HR-01, and the gfx card idles at 52*C with its passive heat sink (pic). With only two Nexus fans, I can hardly hear the thing over the din from my wife's Thinkpad twice as far away. ^_^

However, the chipsets are idling at 55*C or so, and I'd like to cool them down a bit. I have a 3rd Nexus lying around that I could fit in the front, but I don't expect it to make a lot of difference, airflow-wise, since the case is such a huge cavity.

What I'd like to do is replace the north and south sinks with beefier ones, and perhaps from Thermalright. But ... I have no idea what to look for, and what fits in those two pin hole mounts. Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:22 am

i have that same mb, and i'm not sure that there is any way to accurately determine which specific chipset is at what temp... you can do it with asus mbs, i think?

i used to obsess about it, even to the point of putting the temp probe of my multimeter into the valleys of the chipset heat sink, trying to figure out which temp matched what chipset.

these days, i think that if you don't overclock, there is no reason to question the engineering decisions that were made about the heat sinks.

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't even aware that they had software-queryable thermal sensors; I just use a hand-held IR thermometer.

It's true that it's not a critical issue since I do not intend to overclock. Still, I would like to look into increasing the surface size of the sinks because there is very little airflow across them.

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:00 am

those little heat sinks do get plenty hot, even on a stock clock.

also, when you put a big video card in there, it really covers up that one heat sink.

maybe a little fan would be the easiest alternative? the spot cool, or a mini-kaze??

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:38 am

danimal wrote:maybe a little fan would be the easiest alternative?
Yeah, but I would like to keep things as passive as possible. All fans cause vibration and noise, as well as requiring some amount of cabling.
I'm reeeally not that keen on putting a 40mm fan in there, even if it is from Scythe.

I just have no idea what I should be looking for in terms of mounting. Could I use, for instance, the Thermalright HR-05 on both chips? I guess so from this review, but in the past I have <strike>been burned</strike> gained experience by guessing incorrectly. :oops: