Radeon HD 3300 (integrated) underpowered for playing video?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

velis

Radeon HD 3300 (integrated) underpowered for playing video?

Post by velis » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:55 am

I've recently bought a Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H motherboard with 790GX chipset deaturing a Radeon HD 3300 with 128MB of SidePort (dedicated) memory.
The primary and only purpose for this PC was media playback.

While ffdshow played full HD content without a problem with <60% CPU usage (Athlon II [email protected]), ATI decoder failed to produce anything fluid. Playback was jerky, sometimes with artifacts and the deinterlacing was poor. Of course, these problems go mostly for full screen full HD resolution. When video was played back in a windows up to a quarter of full screen size, it was fairly OK most of the time.
Also in CCC, video settings kept getting reset (Deinterlacing method kept going down from vector adaptive to bob, pulldown detecting was being unchecked and edge enhancement was also getting unchecked).

I inserted a HD 4350 card into the PCIEx slot and now everything works fine.

However, I can't help but wonder how this could even happen. I've heard of plenty of folks using even 780G chipset which has a lot poorer video capabilities.

Note that I also underclocked / undervolted the entire setup, but there was no difference whatsoever. I also tried overvolting the NB and that only got rid of the artifacts, but it never fixed the stuttering. At MB default settings the problem was just as apparent.
The problem was just as bad even at 24Hz refresh rate - changing refresh rate didn't help.

Right now I have my problem solved, but I'm wasting a video card on something that should work anyway.

Any suggestions on how I could go back to integrated and not suffer from these problems?

expxe

Post by expxe » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:07 pm

see sig. i have the older 780G chipset. i have no problems playing 1080p content, windowed or fullscreen. maybe you have a driver issue.

recommendatons:

download latest drivers from ATI's website. install them. see if it works.

if still doesn't work. uninstall ALL codec/codec packs. you don't need them. download mpc hc and install it.

[if you have a 32bit OS] download coreavc and enable it in mpc hc (go to filters section, remove all other filters except for coreavc).

if still doesn't work, your mobo probably defective, refund/exchange it or if you don't want to send it back, try overclocking your GPU in the BIOS. (this option will increase the speed of your GPU, but there will be more power consumption and heat)

see if the above works and post back
Last edited by expxe on Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

expxe

Post by expxe » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:07 pm

dbl post, delete
Last edited by expxe on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

expxe

Post by expxe » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:11 pm

dbl post, delete

velis

Post by velis » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:27 am

Hm, I have the latest drivers (9.11), taken directly from AMD.
MPC-HC plays all content without a problem using ffdshow.
However, when I try to use Cyberlink or Avivo decoder (using DXVA), I have problems.

There is however a problem: I'm using MediaPortal as HTPC software of choice and it won't allow me to use ffdshow for live TV due to some bug between MP's TsReader and ffdshow when liveTV signal is HD.

Therefore I need to somehow make ATI or Cyberlink decoder work in SW mode, but with vector Adaptive deinterlacing. anything less is simply unacceptable quality.

That is why I posted this question. My proc is powerful enough, no problem there. But when I try to use the HD 3300 DXVA, playback is jerky and the sliders keep moving down to bob deinterlacing.
The problem is much lesser on a discrete HD 4350 (fluid playback), but still there (moving sliders) - therefore bob deinterlacing :(

expxe

Post by expxe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:58 pm

im not sure what you mean so im afraid i can't help you

i am curious was you need ffdshow, after i installed windows 7 i did not need to install any codecs at all to play any type of media file. but give coreavc a try anyways it will make your computer use less computing power to play a movie even if you already can play it no problem, why not save on electricity :D