quiet pc plan

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Flanker

quiet pc plan

Post by Flanker » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:39 pm

hello, I'm thinking about making a plan for a quiet, cool, and energy efficient pc for physics programming (simulations and stuff) and some occasional gaming.
The thing is I built a computer in December 2008, that was my first time and I idiotically decided to get the cheapest case + psu combo there is i can find. naturally i got a psu that may probably pop any moment and everytime i'm in my room it sounds more like i'm in an airplane, which is driving me insane...
I haven't really decided when to buy and build these parts yet, since my e8400 is still serving me well and university fees are making a steady climb.
But anyways what i've got in mind at the moment is:

CPU: i5 660 or other cost effective 32nm with low TDP in the future
CPU Cooler: Scythe Katana 3
GPU: HD5770 or if the new mid range fermi ones are more efficient...
GPU Cooler: AC accelero twin turbo (S1 is more expensive over here for some weird reason)
RAM: 4GB DDR3 Supertalent/Corsair
MB: some basic ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI, no multi gpu setup required
SSD: none at the moment, will wait for price to fall
HDD: will use my current caviar SE
PSU: Earthwatt500 or VX450 (i like the external fan of AC fusion 550r but its power connectors... well, aren't perfect)
Case: Sonata designer or Solo

Basically it just has to be quiet, it doesn't have to be absolutely silent, bit of quiet hiss when idle should be fine, and a very low hum on load should be ok, hopefully i don't get silencer addiction
as for oc'ing, I'm planning to go as far as stock voltage can take the chip to, not going to overvolt. just trying to get more out of my money :)

a couple of questions here:
how loud are the VX450/Earthwatt500 exactly? I've heard some people say they are almost silent and other say they are damn loud... I won't be doing much modding, changing the fan of psu's void warranty over here apparently..
Feel free to comment on the coolers, I'm planning let PWM control their speeds, just want low noise, and decent cooling, doesn't have to be like 20c or something, but at least show a clear difference to stock coolers

edit: alternatively, I can probably just keep the current rig, and move a to a new case with new psu, and then add in cpu and gpu cooler <===CURRENT PLAN
Last edited by Flanker on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:42 am

Welcome! Good luck on your quest for silent computing.

I can't comment on the VX450 or Earthwatt 500 directly, but I was blown away by the quietness of my Seasonic 430W, which according to this site is in the same ballpark for noise (I wanted the VX450 but availability here in West Aus was limited). I would expect that any of the recommended power supplies here will be silent at a reasonable distance with a moderate load.

Only other comment would be that I would go for stock clock and undervolt as much as possible. IMHO the gains from overclocking the i5 will be virtually unnoticeable, while even a moderate undervolt will give you a noticeable reduction in temperature at load, which translates directly into lower fan speed for quieter computing!

Faster_Madman

Post by Faster_Madman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:52 am

The plan of moving your system to a new case and PSU seems very attractive, IMO, from what you describe about your current system.
That would be my first priority, if i was in your situation.
Alternatively, you could start with a new PSU and access the situation from there.
Corsair are nice and quite quiet but a bit pricey if you're on a budget.
Alternatively LC-Power makes some nice PSU's in the budget segment, namely the Silent Giant Green Power line with a 140mm fan. They might be available in your country.

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:31 pm

one thing i've realized is that there are no seasonic (as a brand) psu over here, but i guess corsair and antec does the job just as well
i'm not sure if its just here or the same everywhere but quality case fans over here like scythe and noctua are ridiculously expensive here, so I'm planning to avoid them
i think i will keep most of the hardware atm until they can no longer handle my work load.
it looks like the designer 500 is what i will stay with, since the case + psu deal is pretty good, hava also looked at the sileo 500 w/o psu, which is first recommended to me on another forum, its pretty cheap but seems to be problematic....

some other questions:
I've also looked at the cheaper antec sonata III w/ the same earthwatts but apparently it has poorer airflow and noise reduction? I searched this forum and the opinions seems to be mixed
another thing i'm wondering is that is there a clear difference between side 80mm fan or 12cm fan on top or bottom on a psu?
with both those AC cpu and gpu coolers plugged in PWM, do they get noisy? no oc'ing is planned for now so i don't think i need them in 12v
i've read the sonata designer/solo has good air flow, so can i get away with no front fan?

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:11 pm

bump, would like to hear some more advice :P

basically i'm now thinking about going with
E8400 w/ AC Freezer 7 Pro rev.2
9600GT w/ AC Accelero twin turbo
Antec Sonata Designer 500 w/o front fan

without modding or swapping out any compoonents, would this be able to achieve sub-30dBa when idle and sub-40dBa (or slightly above 40) under heavy load?

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Do you have the Freezer 7 Pro already on your system?

If you don't have this heatsink already, there would be better heatsinks you can buy for a little more money.

Just looking on pricespy, you might want to consider (in rough price order up to about NZ $75, based on best price listed):

- Xigmatek S963
- Coolermaster Hyper N520
- Scythe Ninja Mini Rev B
- Scythe Katana 3
- Scythe Ninja 2
- Thermolab Baram (needs fan)

Otherwise, look at the list of Recommended Heatsinks (under the Cooling tab down the side) on the main page of this site and see if any of the better performing coolers would fit your budget.

Add a Zalman fanmate to control the fan speeds of any non-PWM fans and you'd get a reasonably quiet heatsink.

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks Jamie, I haven't got the Freezer yet, I planned to get it because it seemed very cost effective, its on the recommended list of spcr and had very good reviews on all other sites(none took noise as seriously of course)
The price of the Katana seems pretty good as well, I can get it for NZ$10 more than the freezer, I'll have a thought about it, cheers

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm actually a bit tempted to spend the cash and get a megahalem w/ NF-P12 and a accelero S1 with turbo module... but that would be overkill wouldn't it? :shock: 65w TDP processor without overclocking...

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:13 am

damn the katana is slightly better than the mini (both on stock fans) awesome stuff for the money
/removes the freezer from the list

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:46 pm

It's a shame you don't have anywhere to buy good fans at reasonable prices over there in NZ. Here in Aus we have PC Case Gear. Here are their 120mm fans for example:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... =207_9_510

Note the 5 pack of Nexus for $50! Also Scythe Slipstreams for $19.

Unfortunately they don't ship O/S, but maybe you know someone in Aus who can forward them on to you?

Bruce.

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:02 pm

theycallmebruce wrote:It's a shame you don't have anywhere to buy good fans at reasonable prices over there in NZ. Here in Aus we have PC Case Gear. Here are their 120mm fans for example:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... =207_9_510

Note the 5 pack of Nexus for $50! Also Scythe Slipstreams for $19.

Unfortunately they don't ship O/S, but maybe you know someone in Aus who can forward them on to you?

Bruce.
:shock: @ nexus 5 pack, damn.. my cousins were in sydney, now they both moved to london >_<
slip stream i can find it for NZ$23, evercool fans are like NZ$15, not sure about their quality tho.