asus m4a785td-v evo/u3s6 cant install raid

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nyhcbri

asus m4a785td-v evo/u3s6 cant install raid

Post by nyhcbri » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:01 pm

please please help. i cannot seem to get my 2 wd sata 3.0 drives to work in sata mode installing windows xp. 1 drive will install in ide mode but not only can i not use sata mode i cannot create a raid config. please help i tried slipstream using 32bit driver in nlite but nothing. im at a total loss after 4 days and 3 reconfigs.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:43 am

Please do not cross post -- this is the better location for your question.

I am confused by your question: how can you install a SATA drive in an "IDE mode"? What does that mean?

What RAID type are you trying to do? The motherboard BIOS can be very confusing on this.

Walk us through your installation -- what steps are you taking, and what settings and drivers are you using? Can you use a temporary floppy drive, instead of slipstreaming the SATA driver?

nyhcbri

Post by nyhcbri » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:19 am

trying to install windows xp mce. the bios has 2 modes ide and raid. trying for a raid 1 mirror with 2 western dig sata 2 drives. the system will not bood from cd with the u3a6 card installed it hijacks the boot so im not using it for now. this board has no floppy so im using a slipstream nlite version of the os and finally it found the single raid array rather than the 2 drives. problem now is after foemat and reboot i get an error with drive config. this is further than i ever got so i thought i had it. please assist.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am

First of all, a little time spent capitalizing and proofreading would make me much more enthusiastic about helping you.

nLite doesn't seem to quite get RAID driver slipstreaming right, so you'll have to make some changes to the installation files yourself. This link is for the ICH10R southbridge, so it isn't exactly what you need for an AMD board either, but it may get you started down the right path:

http://communities.intel.com/message/42113

And, of course, the other solution is to use Windows 7. There's a reason they release new operating systems - they often work better than the old ones.

nyhcbri

Post by nyhcbri » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:11 pm

windows 7 is for sure where im going with this but for now for the sake to say HA, I DID IT MR GATES. its a hobby and a challange and im at a point where i need a little push. we all been there

nyhcbri

Post by nyhcbri » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:55 am

i talked to an asus tech and they said nlite slipstream is flawless for this application and i should flash the bios for a possible conpatibility issue or just rma the board

nyhcbri

Post by nyhcbri » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:21 pm

ok so after several fun attempts to install xp on the new hardware i went to staples and picked up a copy of windows 7 upgrade. first try went bad when it installed then told me the product key was invalid so i reinstalled xp the tried to reinstall windows 7 as to recognize the upgrade but this was even worse because the product would not install at all stating it could not format. now is there something im not getting right here or is the motherboard raid controller bad. i have no idea.