First timers quiet i5-750 build (comments please..be gentle)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

accipiter

First timers quiet i5-750 build (comments please..be gentle)

Post by accipiter » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi,

I have revised my possible build from an AMD platform to an intel machine based around the i5-750.
Will be used for everyday use, image editing, some gaming.
No immediate plans to overclock, but understand that this is a defineite possibility for this platorm.. any idea how this will impact on noise levels ?
Important that it is as quiet as possible....

MB: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4
Got better reviews tha the UD3 version, dont want the 3rd GPU slot of the UD5.

CPU: Intel Core i5 750
About the right price/perf spot. Had originally looked at the Phenom II 965be, but preferrd the INtel option

Thermal paste: Have no idea ?recommendations ?

Case: Antec P183

PCU: 650W Seasonic X-650
Expensive, but like the reviews that describe it as having a fan that powers down at minimum temps

Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B
Am in two minds here. When looking into a Phenom build, had liked the Skythe Mugen 2, but dont know if it can be fitted to an LGA 1156 CPU? does anyone know?
..or aybe have a better suggestion. Was looking for a bolt-thru vareity

Graphics ?? AM looking for something quiet but able to run some games (MOH, a few other FPS, an mostly RTS games)

HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3
Havent really looked into HDs for quiet... any comments appreciated.

Case Fan: 120mm Noctua NF-P12 Vortex-Control Quiet Case Fan
Many posts comment tha the top fn ofthe Antec p183 could be replaced for reduced noise ?

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit: Want to run XP mode (legacy devices)

RAM: This is where I get a bit lost. I was thinking low latency, but I dont want to go mad.
What voltage RAM would I need for a p55 board ?

Any comments would be much appreciated,

Dave

ces

Post by ces » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:49 pm

Looks reasonable to me.

I wouldn't sweat too much over the memory. I would just get something that is on Gigabytes approved memory list.

accipiter

Post by accipiter » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:29 pm

what is the merit of various different memory speeds, and would I notice a difference ?

I think both of thses are compatible Is the different voltages significant ?

4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 Classic DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 8-8-8-24, XMP, 1.65V

4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 Classic, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.50V

Shibirian

Post by Shibirian » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:51 am

accipiter wrote:what is the merit of various different memory speeds, and would I notice a difference?
Only in synthetic benchmarks. In real life use (also gaming) there will be no noticable difference.
I think both of thses are compatible Is the different voltages significant ?
Yes, but only for overall power consumption. You want the PSU to be quiet, so less power is better. But the RAM should not take the cake here. ;)

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:41 pm

check the pricing on the cp-850, it's probably going to be better bang for the buck.