Noise troubleshooting -- what sounds like an HDD but isn't?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

htm

Noise troubleshooting -- what sounds like an HDD but isn't?

Post by htm » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:20 am

Hi everyone. I'm having problems with an unknown clicking noise in my PC. It sounds like hard drive seek noise (rapid light clicking), but is slightly higher in pitch and quieter than most hdd's I've heard.

I use an SSD, so it isn't that.

The noise appears when I open a program, scroll up and down a webpage, or even move my mouse around, or when my media player is playing a file (with the volume muted).

The noise never appears when my computer is "idle."

I am at a loss as to where to troubleshoot first, because I just can't think of anything it could be. It's not fan noise, because it is is only there when my computer is "doing stuff," and my fans do not vary their speed (well, the one on the graphics card does). There is no hard disk drive. The optical drives are empty and not spinning.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas on this?

Specs: Asus p5b-e, intel q6700, evga geforce 9600gso, intel x-25m, antec p182,

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:38 am

Coil whine. It could be either in your PSU, on your graphics card, or on the motherboard, but in the latter two cases it'll be near the power-regulation circuitry. To diagnose this, push your finger* against any toroidal coils that you see while doing something that reproduces the noise. If pushing against a coil kills the noise, that coil is the culprit. Obviously, this could be hard and/or dangerous to do if the coil is inside the PSU

* these coils are often quite hot, so you probably want to use a pencil eraser or something rather than your finger.

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:37 am

These things may not be relevant to your situation, but I`ve had similar symptoms from various sources.

This may sound odd, but my wireless/optical mouse makes a high-pitched seek noise similar to what you describe, most noticeably while scrolling.

I`ve also had similar annoying noises on a work computer that used on-board audio that made squeek noises over the speakers/headphones even with audio muted on mouse movements, clicks, disk access, scrolling, opening/closing apps.

htm

Post by htm » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys!

I have no audio output device attached, and the noise is clearly emanating from my tower. I suppose I'll start testing coils!

I just did a little troubleshooting...

With my media player up and playing a file (with a visualization on), the click is there. With it still going but minimized, it is gone.

Since the common element here is that the click appears lots when the screen is changing, I'll start with the graphics card coils. Well, I'm lazy and non-electrical in nature, so I'll start by just swapping out the card altogether.

Thanks again guys! Anyone else with input would be appreciated, too.

-Paul