System Advice on a New Build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fountainhills

System Advice on a New Build

Post by fountainhills » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:11 am

Hello, I am a newbie to the board...first post.
I have an Antec Sonata II case that I wish to use (I think it is an ATX form factor); and I am looking for recommendations or experiences for components in a quiet strong build.
The only gaming I do is FSX. I want to run Windows 7, I can get either 32 or 64 bit versions.
I use Office 2007 but have a free upgrade coming to 2010.

Your advice on components is appreciated! (Motherboard, graphics, HD, anything else).

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:36 pm

HDD: personally I find the WD Caviar Blue / Caviar SE is really nice balance between price, performance and noise levels

GFX: not sure about the specs of FSX but there are passively cooled 5750's on the market, they can play most games at 1920x1080 in medium settings, go up a notch you can also get 5770 HAWK (from MSI) or 5770 Vapor-x (from sapphire) these are actively cooled but reasonably quiet. there are more powerful cards out there but not sure about their noise levels.

CPU/MB: MSI H55M-E33 and i3 530 will give you some nice performance efficiently, they do cost a bit, AMD stuff are cheap but i'm not sure about their efficiency

fountainhills

Thanks flanker!

Post by fountainhills » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Great advice, I looked at these components after reading your post and sounds good. Appreciate the time!!

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:09 pm

What's yer budget? Lynnfield (e.g. an i5-750) is going to be the best performance/heat ratio. Of course, you'll want an aftermarket cooler, as the stock Intel coolers suck for both cooling and acoustics.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:35 am

Maybe a few fans for your CPU cooler and case? I'd recommend Nexus, Scythe if money weren't a concern. Otherwise, Yateloon is a safe choice for those on a tight budget. That said, I'm testing Enermax MAGMA DC/PWM variety of fans, and they performs wonderfully in my system in terms of acoustic. Also recommend for you based on my recent experience.

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:29 pm

loimlo wrote:Maybe a few fans for your CPU cooler and case? I'd recommend Nexus, Scythe if money weren't a concern. Otherwise, Yateloon is a safe choice for those on a tight budget. That said, I'm testing Enermax MAGMA DC/PWM variety of fans, and they performs wonderfully in my system in terms of acoustic. Also recommend for you based on my recent experience.
sorry to go off topic but, loimlo it says your location is formosa that means taiwan right? do you know where we can buy like yate loon fans, scythe fans etc there? haven't lived there since i was 12, planning to take a trip there sometime, looked at those online shops and only find crappy evercool fans. I assume prices are cheaper than NZ there :)

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:03 am

Listing taiwan's scythe, yateloon fans' price for your reference. If you're still interested, I'll tell you where/how to purchase these fans in taiwan.

Scythe: 330~450NTD=10~14USD depending on models you like.
Yateloon: only D12SM-12 available, 100~110NTD, 3USD.
Or a few Enermax MAGMA fans? 450NTD, 13~14USD

That said, I think taiwan's food is better than taiwan's fans. :lol: