Wife's new box...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Peter J

Wife's new box...

Post by Peter J » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:41 am

Building a new computer for DW, and her old one will be used by grandkids, and the one they used before will go to daughter...it's like musical chairs only with computers.
She isn't demanding of her system, but I like the challenge of quiet so she indulges me. Will get used for Office stuff, web surfing and she likes to stream Netflix...no gaming or intense photo or video editing.

Here's what I'm using:

Antec Solo
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
E6300 Pentium Dual core prosessor
Thermalight HR-01 plus CPU cooler
Sparkle 9400 GT fanless
1 WD Caviar Black 500GB

I want to cool this with one fan in back of case, either the Antec 120 Tri-Cool that came with the case or Nexus 120 which I have already. I could slow the Nexus down with a Zalman Fan Mate I've got or, and here's the question, hook it to the CPU fan header and let it's speed be controlled by motherboard. Do y'all think that will work?

It's got to be simple and effective, DW is not a tweaker in the least, and I don't want to ride herd on the thing after I'm done building it.

Thanks for any and all input.

IDvsEGO

Post by IDvsEGO » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:24 am

LOL, I am about to do the same thing for my wife. She doesnt care what she uses but its a chance for me to play around with another PC. I am interested in your feedback ont he sparkle. I am using a Coolermaster elite 340 for my wifes build. Its a microatx with 120mm fans, like the silverstone tj08. I am still trying to decide on the airflow for it. I dont have much help for you right now, but I am watching this thread.

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:40 am

I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB in one of the computers here, and it's a fine MB, but you don't really need it for this application. A mATX G41 chipset MB with integrated graphics is all that is needed. It will be significantly cheaper and use less power (graphics and fewer devices on the MB).

Peter J

Post by Peter J » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:07 am

b_rubenstein wrote:I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB in one of the computers here, and it's a fine MB, but you don't really need it for this application. A mATX G41 chipset MB with integrated graphics is all that is needed. It will be significantly cheaper and use less power (graphics and fewer devices on the MB).
Probably true, but I own it already. I'm actually assembling the thing now. Admittedly it's for my wife, but I get to indulge me some, too.

Truth is, our son-in-law has offered to give us Windows 7 and Office 2010, he buys multiple licenses for his biz. I convinced her it was time for her to upgrade. She's OK with whatever until she uses something better...then she's on board!

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Re: Wife's new box...

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:58 am

Peter J wrote:I want to cool this with one fan in back of case, either the Antec 120 Tri-Cool that came with the case or Nexus 120 which I have already. I could slow the Nexus down with a Zalman Fan Mate I've got or, and here's the question, hook it to the CPU fan header and let it's speed be controlled by motherboard. Do y'all think that will work?
It'll definitely work to plug the rear case fan into the CPU header. I do that all the time. Although you might then have to play with the control for that. The nexus is a low speed fan to begin with. Sometimes, the CPU fan control is expecting a higher speed fan so will run the nexus at very low speeds. Maybe too low.

Which leads to the second issue. A single case fan will be enough to get rid of any heat, but it won't give a lot of direct cooling to the heat sinks. Particularly the GPU. Which means that it could get very hot. My system is very low powered. But with just the rear case fan, the HD4670 can easily get into the 90s if not pushing 100C. I switched it around a bit and put the one fan on my CPU heat sink (Scythe Mugen) where it also blows along the top the GPU and it stays in the 60s. What I plan on doing is put the fan back on the rear of the case and building a duct to direct the air over the GPU. I'm not sure how the 9400 compares to an HD4670 for heat. And this was with furmark which I doubt your wife will ever run.

So, my point is that yes a single 120mm fan can cool your setup just fine. But you just have to keep an eye on the temps and make sure that the air is going where it's needed.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:11 am

I think you will be fine with the single Nexus rear case fan running at minimum speed off the CPU fan header. I don't think the GPU will be an issue, although they do tend to run a bit hot but not enough to be of concern. I've got an 8500GT in a similar configuration to your proposed system, and it's only after an hour in Furmark that it gets anywhere near its thermal limits.

If you do want to keep the GPU a bit cooler, you can remove the slot cover immediately below the graphics card which will cause cool air to be drawn into the case and over the GPU heatsink. You should be able to get >10degC reduction with this tweak.

Peter J

Post by Peter J » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:53 am

Following up with a some info for those interested.

The Sparkle seems like a good card to me, but I'm not a gamer. I found them looking for passive GPU on Newegg, have one in my computer, and bought on the strength of reviews. Both have been trouble free so far... I'd purchase again.

I set up as stated with the exception of putting the Fanmate in line between Nexus and the CPU fan header. With the fan running at 800 RPM,
system and CPU temps have not exceeded 44 c in the type of use the box will see.

I can't monitor temp on GPU processor directly, but did shoot the heatsink with a infra red thermometer after having the box closed and loading some programs. It was 55 c and that's probably close to as hot as it likely get.

Two small mods to airflow, (thanks for the suggestion). I stuck a piece of magnetic sheet over the holes ajacent the card slots, and drilled a series of holes in the slot cover directly underneath to direct airflow over GPU heatsink. In an effort to filter the majority of air coming into the box I glued a piece of 1/4" open cell foam over these holes.

System is working well, and is the quietest build so far for me. DW thinks the Antec is pretty...