ready made quiet PC for home office use?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fpa

ready made quiet PC for home office use?

Post by fpa » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:46 am

I am looking for a relatively quiet & cool system mainly for office and (heavy) Internet use. I prefer ready made rather than self build. Any recommendations?

Budget is not a big issue and although I guess a low end system should be fine, I want to avoid any `slow performance`. I am thinking a floor standing tower and don't have any specific connections in mind.

I am based in the UK.

Thanks for any help!

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:50 am

Office recently replaced the old HP w/Pentium 4 2.2GHz I was using with a Dell Optiplex 780 Desktop. Aside from the initial fan ramp-up during boot, I've found it to be fairly quiet during normal use even with the PC sitting just 2' away on my desk. Granted, that's in an office environment so noise floor is higher than at home.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:52 am

Hi, I also have a Dell Optiplex 780 on my desk at work (usff one on back of monitor) and it does seem quiet. Not noticed any noise from it and office is fairly quiet when I get in at 8 in the morning.

I also build PCs for people from time to time and could probably do so for you. Maybe you prefer a proper manufactured one with warranty and can work out cheaper, or someone / shop / whatever close to your location to provide onsite/in person support.

On the plus side a custom built PC can be made as quiet as you want to pay for and to any spec you like and maybe more flexible in terms of upgrades etc.

For an easy build take motherboard and CPU of your choice and add a recommended CPU cooler, Scythe Mugen is very good and cheap with quiet fan. For your suggested usage I'd go with integrated graphics so no noise issue there; or passive video card. Use Antec Solo case with built in HDD suspension and recommended HDD (and/or SSD). May want to replace the rear case fan too.
If using Windows Speedfan is you friend to get the CPU and case fan speeds right down for idle. For other OS budget for fanmates or other manual fan controller.
I build a “Photoshopâ€

fpa

Post by fpa » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:40 am

Thank you both for the replies. I prefer going for a ready system right now. I had a look at the Dell Optiplex 780 and it looks like a good contender.

At dell's website I also noticed the Optiplex 980 and some impressive claims about energy efficiency and quiet operation (ecokit?). Any views on it? The specs are probably a bit higher than what I need but on the other hand I want to keep that pc for 3-4 years.

If the 980 models is suitable, what configuration (processor, HDD, graphics card etc.) would you suggest for the most silent operation.? I will use the PC with 2 monitors.

Thanks again!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:09 am

Dell measures their system noise, using iso7779 standards, and bury them deep in its site.

http://www.dell.com/regulatory_compliance_datasheets

Check the "Sound Pressure Operator Position" for the spec closest to SPCR measurements; we do small systems at the same ~0.6m distance, but 1m for bigger systems designed for floor placement. The spl difference is less than 3 dBA (louder for Dell's measurement compared to SPCR's); more like 2 most of the time.

Except for when the optical drive is going (when it hits 42 dba), the dBA readings for the mini-tower version are 28.4~28.8 dBA, which translates to 25~27 as SPCR measures floor-placed PCs (from a meter distance). The desktop version is quieter, at 27 dbA but as it is positioned closer to the user, it will end up sounding the same. The SFF version turns out to be quietest at 25.5 dBA but loudest when the CPU is pushed -- 31 dBA. I expect the fan has to ramp up to higher speed in the smaller case.

These suggest a modestly quiet machine -- but nothing like SPCR-quiet. It is about twice the perceived loudness of the SPCR-certified Puget Serenity i7 system -- http://www.silentpcreview.com/Puget_Serenity

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:15 am

fpa

Post by fpa » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:46 am

Thanks Mike

So the Dell pc seems ok but not really silent. Do you know if the Puget Serenity can be found in the UK? If not any suggestions of silent or near silent ready systems available in the UK?

That box you suggest also looks good, but I think it doesn't take a graphics card and I need at least 2 monitors. Is multi monitor use possible without the necessary graphics card?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:51 am

fpa wrote:Thanks Mike

So the Dell pc seems ok but not really silent. Do you know if the Puget Serenity can be found in the UK? If not any suggestions of silent or near silent ready systems available in the UK?

That box you suggest also looks good, but I think it doesn't take a graphics card and I need at least 2 monitors. Is multi monitor use possible without the necessary graphics card?
Puget sells internationally. Check out their site. Not cheap to ship all the way across the ocean tho.

The i3 Clarkdale supports dual displays, each at resolutions up to 2560x1600, and it can now drive two displays simultaneously over HDMI... but you should ask Tranquil directly.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:16 am

The Mac Mini is supposed to be very quiet, but I haven't experienced one first hand.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:17 am

fpa wrote:ready made quiet PC for home office use?
Macs begone. :lol:

Seriously though, the Mini is as silent as it gets. I considered it for work, but it's just too expensive, you can't change the HDD and it would be very hard to maintenance or upgrade throughout the years. *pats 6-year-old AMD64 workhorse*

quest_for_silence

Re: ready made quiet PC for home office use?

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:53 am

oalintcrew wrote:It is better that doing some self building for pc.

From which perspective? Not from the silent one, for sure (the industry is not aimed at a thorough quietness, just to work out products which have to be "economical" and to comply regulations).

At anyway, due to OP requirements, I think the 780 is rather old, and then that the 980 should be preferred (even if it isn't anymore cutting edge).

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: ready made quiet PC for home office use?

Post by MikeC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:19 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
oalintcrew wrote:It is better that doing some self building for pc.

From which perspective? Not from the silent one, for sure (the industry is not aimed at a thorough quietness, just to work out products which have to be "economical" and to comply regulations).

At anyway, due to OP requirements, I think the 780 is rather old, and then that the 980 should be preferred (even if it isn't anymore cutting edge).
"oalintcrew" was just a spammer. Gone now.