Where is the noise coming from?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Morten74

Where is the noise coming from?

Post by Morten74 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi Guys

Having recently replaced my HX750 PSU for an AX750 I can now hear another noise from my PC (I guess that's how it is), but I can't really seem to identify the source :-(

I was quite convinced that it was the fan on the HD5850, but even slowing it from 20% to 10% with MSI Afterburner did not change anything.

As I from time to time take my PC to LAN parties, I stopped using the soft mount for the HDD - could the noise be vibrations from the HDD (eventhough I did use the silicone grommets)... Any suggestions for a "secure" soft mount?

Thanks in advance

Best regards
:wink: Morten

Modo

Re: Where is the noise coming from?

Post by Modo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:52 pm

Morten74 wrote: As I from time to time take my PC to LAN parties, I stopped using the soft mount for the HDD - could the noise be vibrations from the HDD (eventhough I did use the silicone grommets)...
Could be HDD whining also. If that is the case, suspension will help only slightly—you might need an SQD or similar solution.
Morten74 wrote: Any suggestions for a "secure" soft mount?
There are many ways to do that. SPCR has a whole gallery with various ideas.

Morten74

Post by Morten74 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:44 am

Modo wrote:
Morten74 wrote: As I from time to time take my PC to LAN parties, I stopped using the soft mount for the HDD - could the noise be vibrations from the HDD (eventhough I did use the silicone grommets)...
Could be HDD whining also. If that is the case, suspension will help only slightly—you might need an SQD or similar solution.
It's not whining, it's more like the sound of a noisy fan. But it doesn't dissapear even when I stop the Scythes and/or the Yate Loon. And I can't really imagine that is the GPU fan at 10% speed, as the noise doesn't increase even if I increcrease to 20%...
Modo wrote:
Morten74 wrote: Any suggestions for a "secure" soft mount?
There are many ways to do that. SPCR has a whole gallery with various ideas.
Thanks - I'll take a look :-)

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:30 am

Do a pencil eraser test. Turn the computer on, open up the side panel, and carefully tap a pencil eraser onto the center hub of all your fans. This will slow it down instantly, and if you hear the obnoxious noise go away, you found your source.

hybry

Post by hybry » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:59 am

RoGuE wrote:Do a pencil eraser test. Turn the computer on, open up the side panel, and carefully tap a pencil eraser onto the center hub of all your fans. This will slow it down instantly, and if you hear the obnoxious noise go away, you found your source.
Was going to suggest the same thing. Of course do not stop them for long, couple of secounds should be enough to see if the stopped fan is the culprit and not to damage the components.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:09 am

Regarding the slowing down of video card fans: they may NOT, in fact, slow down when you move the slider in some application. I know my Asus 5770 would not go below 30% and my current Gainward won't go below 40%, no matter what it says in Afterburner. You need to verify by monitoring RPM or stopping the fan.

Morten74

Post by Morten74 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:35 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:Regarding the slowing down of video card fans: they may NOT, in fact, slow down when you move the slider in some application. I know my Asus 5770 would not go below 30% and my current Gainward won't go below 40%, no matter what it says in Afterburner. You need to verify by monitoring RPM or stopping the fan.
Unfortunately you are absolutely right - I checked with OpenHardwareMonitor - the GPU fan is at 20% even set to 5% in Afterburner :(

:wink: Morten

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:34 am

Yeah, just go and try stopping the fan manually, one by one. Personally, I just use my finger, but I guess a pencil/eraser works too. =]