HR-02 and Intel DX58SO boot problems

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Xergiez

HR-02 and Intel DX58SO boot problems

Post by Xergiez » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:22 am

Now before I begin I must say that this motherboard is a pain in the ass. Everything on the board has awkward placement.

It wouldn't POST/not display any graphical output with four sticks of RAM in with the stock cooler because a case screw wasn't screwed down all the way, yet it would boot up fine with two sticks of RAM in the slots closest to the CPU.

I've installed the HR-02 and had the same RAM issue. Only two sticks work in the first two slots. I discovered that any downward pressure on the heatsink caused the system to not POST/display anything. It would work fine when it's just held as to not fall over. Even the tension bracket resting on top of the screws just barely screwed on would cause it to not boot with anything more than two sticks of RAM. I tried the stock cooler again and it worked fine.

Here's my specs:
CPU: intel i7 920 c0
MOBO: Intel DX58SO
RAM: OCZ 2x4GB ddr3 1333

Any ideas are much welcomed ASAP as I am posting from my phone with an open computer case, not wanting to take the cooler out.

EDIT: I had some luck where the tension bracket was barely screwed on and got it to POST. This problem is making less sense.

bonestonne

Re: HR-02 and Intel DX58SO boot problems

Post by bonestonne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:09 pm

-Too much pressure, you might have a hairline fracture in the board which is being triggered by the aftermarket cooler
-Short circuit somewhere, either the cooler, the backplate, or some other hardware is making contact with a ground that it's not supposed to.

That's all I can think of.

It might seem random, but there must be a really specific reason for this.

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:16 am

pull everything out of the case, and hook up all of the parts on a table... that way you eliminate the case as a factor; i would first check the case standoff locations, to make sure that you don't have a standoff in the wrong place, shorting out the mb.

i think that dual-channel mode on that mb means that the two sticks have to be in the blue slots?
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18128/e ... odSpec.pdf

Xergiez

Post by Xergiez » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:02 pm

danimal wrote:pull everything out of the case, and hook up all of the parts on a table... that way you eliminate the case as a factor; i would first check the case standoff locations, to make sure that you don't have a standoff in the wrong place, shorting out the mb.

i think that dual-channel mode on that mb means that the two sticks have to be in the blue slots?
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18128/e ... odSpec.pdf
That's correct. Dual-channel is the first two blue slots, but the motherboard will not POST if there are sticks in slots B and/or C.

There are no standoffs in the wrong locations. I've also tested the motherboard out of the case and did not get any different results.

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:57 pm

what bonn said about cracks is true, if it's flakey under pressure when it's out of the case, send it back.