Mini-ITX HTPC/Server: Hardware

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

Re: Mini-ITX HTPC/Server: Hardware

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:07 am

HFat wrote:I thought ronx only wanted to suspend one drive. Many cases can accomodate that and an ODD without too much work.

Just a last note: unless you use some rack as the No Vibes III, I think you may need a bit more space.
You may see this point if you give a look here:

ronx

Post by ronx » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi,

I am about to buy all the components. I am planning:

- motherboard: Asus E35M1-M
- memory : 1x Corsair DDR3-1333 CL9 2Go
- hard drive: WD 2To S-ATA II 64Mo (Caviar Green)
- tv card: Nova-T 500
- psu: PicoPSU-80 12V DC-DC ATX Power Supply w/ 80W AC Adapter
- case: old and ugly atx case
- fan: ?

About the psu, knowing my future needs (bluray player, tv card and one hard drive), do I need a 80W AC Adapter or a 60W AC Adapter? Because there are some bundles with a picopsu-80 and a 60W AC Adapter, it is a bit intriguing.

The Asus E35M1-M comes without any fan so I will need one. What size should I consider knowing that I will use an ATX case? Any suggestions of quiet fans?

micah161

Post by micah161 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:20 pm

I assume you saw this article today?

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthre ... erformance

Looks like a nice low power solution that can also manage front-end duties. Please let us know how it goes.

ronx

Post by ronx » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:18 am

Ok micah161, I will.

About the fan, I looked at my case it seems it only supports 80mm fans. After reading some articles on spcr it seems that the Nexus Real Silent Case Fan SP802512L-03 is the best 80mm fan. Is it still the best fan today?

azazel1024

Post by azazel1024 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:12 am

I haven't personally used that one, but the Gelid Silent 80mm fans I have in my case are pretty damned silent.

ronx

Post by ronx » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:38 am

Update:

I haven't received all the components yet, I am still waiting for the fan and the picopsu. Right now I am using an old psu and no 80mm fan. So it is kinda full passive and it is stable, but I haven't had the occasion to push the configuration yet. In the end I might not use a case at all. For the moment the computer is hidden in the furniture of the TV. It works well, but I haven't figured out yet where and how I will put the fan. The configuration is already quite silent, I am only hearing the psu. Also I noticed that the motherboard makes a little noise if I put my hear really near it. But after 1 meter, I can't hear it anymore.

I installed Ubuntu, xbmc, tvheadend. It is working good. But it can be better, as I haven't tried to use the hardware acceleration for the moment.

Thanks to the people who helped me to build this computer. By the way the whole configuration cost me a bit less than 290 €.