old seasonic psu for i3 system

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elevenseventy

old seasonic psu for i3 system

Post by elevenseventy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:59 pm

I stopped into Microcenter for a sale on 2tb Seagate Barracudas and ended up with this system.

i3 2100
MSI H67ma-e35
2x2gb ram
2x2tb Seagate Barracuda LP

I have a Seasonic S12-500 and an Antec Lanboy from a p4 build from around 2004 that I figured would finish off the build. Is there any risk in using an old, but good, psu?

If I get a new psu, is there is any reason not to get a picopsu? I like the fanless Seasonic, but 400w seems like overkill. I don't see much else out there in the low watt category. Any other suggestions for the build are welcome too. These parts were too good a deal to pass up and now I want to make the most of them.

m1st

Re: old seasonic psu for i3 system

Post by m1st » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:47 am

The S12-500 would work fine with that system. There are new PSs that have better efficiency, but they are only marginally better and wouldn't be worth spending the extra money.

cmh

Post by cmh » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:06 am

I've just built a Sandy Bridge system around an old case and Seasonic S12-430 PSU. Works great.

elevenseventy

Post by elevenseventy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:50 am

Ah, perfect. I'm on a bit of a budget right now, but sometime I may try for extreme efficiency. cmh, glad to hear your old Seasonic is still working. I was worried a psu might get erratic in its old age and damage the system. When I get it up and going I'll post some power readings, in case anyone is curious.