PC-Q25 HTPC - SS X-400 does it fit?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

grijzegeest

PC-Q25 HTPC - SS X-400 does it fit?

Post by grijzegeest » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:42 am

The plan is to build a HTPC /homeserver, quiet and with reasonable power use.

Lian Li PC-Q25B (good size, nice clean case)

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX, 2TB (only 1 to start
Intel Core i3 2100
Scythe Shuriken Rev. B
OCZ Vertex Plus SATA II 2.5" SSD 60GB
Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9/4G
Intel Desktop Board DH67CF (B3)

Enermax Liberty ECO 400W or Seasonic X-400 Fanless

Here I am wondering about two things, the size and the airflow.

Would the modular X-400 fit? its 160mm deep and according to these reviews http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4294/l ... ndex7.html & http://www.techspot.com/review/446-lian ... page2.html it could be a tight fit, does anyone have experience with this PSU in this case?

For the Enermax (or any other fan based PSU) I was wondering if the airflow of the PSU and CPU fan would be working against each other? Anybody experience with that?

Any advice appreciated!

Edit:

Update in post 4
Last edited by grijzegeest on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abula

Re: PC-Q25 HTPC - SS 400-x does it fit?

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:48 am

grijzegeest wrote:Would the modular X-400 fit? its 160mm deep and according to these reviews http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4294/l ... ndex7.html & http://www.techspot.com/review/446-lian ... page2.html it could be a tight fit, does anyone have experience with this PSU in this case?
No direct experience with Q25, just trying to help in another way.

From newegg user review, LIAN LI PC-Q25B Black / Silver Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case
Make sure your PSU is no more than 5.5"
According to this video, Windows Home server, he was able to fit Corsair CX430 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) x 5.5"(L) , and according to his comments there, tried to fit a Corsair TX750 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 6.3"(L),
I tried using a Corsair TX750 after I upgraded the power supply in my desktop. But it was to big.
Now the Seasonic X-400 has the following measurements, 5.9" x 6.3" x 3.4", the leghts is the same as the TX750 + the extra space of the modular cables lead me to believe that it wont fit :(, its a shame as i would build with that combo also.

But you have the CX430 according to the video, here is a pic with it inside,

and from newegg user reviews,
I used the Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green and it worked and fit nicely but all the unused connections are cluttering up my case.

using a silverstone sst-st50f-p psu. This case requires a short psu, modular is better because there's not much space for tons of psu cables. I had a short modular psu with the short cable kit so I was all set.
Another in the 5.5'' that is cheap and has good user reviews... but not modular, SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply, but who knows if its really quiet psu... for the price idk makes me wonder....

grijzegeest

Re: PC-Q25 HTPC - SS 400-x does it fit?

Post by grijzegeest » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:00 am

Abula wrote: Another in the 5.5'' that is cheap and has good user reviews... but not modular, SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply, but who knows if its really quiet psu... for the price idk makes me wonder....
Thanks for the effort!

Yep the SS-300ET is also on the short list (no pun intended), however, since it is not modular, I ended up with the Enermax Liberty ECO II 400W. I found a list somewhere on the forums here (could not find it again..) where the noise rating for idle was 11 dBA compared to 10 dBA (noise ground level) for the X-400, which seems pretty good.

An alternative would be using this PSU extension bracket from Lian-Li, the PE-01 http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... dex=84&g=f. This extends the case a bit, but also puts more of the passive PSU outside of the case, so it dumps its heat outside.

Also using a right angle power cord should reduce the extension of the case.

grijzegeest

Re: PC-Q25 HTPC - SS X-400 does it fit?

Post by grijzegeest » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Update:

Ended up buying this Lian Li PC-Q25B setup with the Enermax Liberty ECO II 400W, which fits quite well (neede a little force to get the grill past the edge) and is very quiet. Exchanged the front 140mm fan with a Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro PK 1. I am not using the top fan, and will probably remove it (already would have, would it not have been that Lian-Li had riveted the harddisk case OVER the fan power cable :? )

The only thing is that I can hear is some HD noise (hdd access when downloading). I was able to reduce this somewhat by putting some duct-tape over the metal edges in the front (near where the grill is on the side cover), which push against the side covers and make these covers act like a "speaker", for lack of a better word.

Also power usage is pretty good with this setup, ~ 35 watt during movie, ~ 27 watt idle, 2 watt standby. Not bad for a 400 watt PSU I would say.