Looking for improved cooling solution for AMD X4 955

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Garak

Looking for improved cooling solution for AMD X4 955

Post by Garak » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:52 am

I've upgraded some of the parts on my machine.
Original spec:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 (stock freq. and cooling)
Asus M4A77TD Pro
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333MHz 1.5V CAS8
XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB
Thermaltake V9

I decided that I needed to quieten it down a bit and find a case which was less dusty. So I have bought and installed the following:
Silverstone NT06-E (with Thermalright TY-140 and Zalman ZM-STG2 TIM)
PowerColor Radeon HD 6850 SCS (with Antec TrueQuiet 120 ziptied on it, fan speed set at 600RPM)
And moved all of it into a Lian Li PC-9F (with some foam on left side panel and roof). I had to put 7V adapters onto the front two fans as I don't have enough motherboard connectors for them and they were too noisy for me at their stock 1000RPM.

So far I'm pretty happy with it. Dust build up is much reduced and most of the time it is quiet enough for me. The highest temp I have seen on the 6850 was during GTA IV at 64C. Which is pretty good IMO.
CPU temps are okay, but I'm consistently getting 30C while just web browsing and a high of 44C in GTA IV isn't really anything to complain about, but I think I can improve noise levels and temps by replacing the Silverstone with an as yet undecided tower cooler (hopefully the Thermalright True Spirit 120 becomes available in the UK, which is what I'm favouring atm because it performs well but should be at a good sub £30 price).
In Asus' EPU program I have set the mode to "Max power saving".

I don't know yet if I will be able to keep the TY-140 and use it on the tower cooler that I buy and will experiment with it, but if it doesn't fit and the stock fan of said unknown tower isn't up to my standards then I was wondering what 120 fan I could use instead.
In an ideal world Antec will have released a PWM version of the TrueQuiet.

I've liked the look of the Deepcool UF120 / Alpenfohn 'The Beast' Wing Boost and like them because of the fan speed range (500-1500RPM), anti-vibration casing, accessories and the FDB/HDB bearing. But apparently they have low static pressure so not suited to blowing air through heatsinks.

The solution atm appears to be the Akasa Apache 120, which has the correct fan speed range, correct bearing type and apparently has good static pressure. I'm willing to forego the anti-vibration if it will be just as quiet and if it will get better temps.
Link to Akasa Apache 120 product page

So I'm wondering if anyone can make recommendations for a tower cooler that will:
a) fit in the Lian Li PC-9F
b) be suitable for use with a low speed/noise fan
c) price below £40, preferably below £30

And I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or information to impart in regards to the Deepcool/Alpenfohn or Akasa fans or any other fans which would be suitable. Preferably ~£10 maximum in price.

Thanks for any help.

lodestar

Re: Looking for improved cooling solution for AMD X4 955

Post by lodestar » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:23 am

Garak wrote:So I'm wondering if anyone can make recommendations for a tower cooler that will:
Lian-Li list the maximum CPU cooler height as 165mm, http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... =62&g=spec.

And as you have foam on the side panel, I would guess that 160mm or less would be the target.
Garak wrote:c) price below £40, preferably below £30
The Cogage True Spirit 120, an earlier version of the Thermalright True Spirit, is 156mm high and costs £26 from sources such as http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cogage-t ... l-amd-cpus. There is also the Gelid Tranquillo v2 at 153mm and £25 from http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gelid-tr ... am2plus-am. Of these two, the Gelid has a quieter fan. One of the popular sub-£30 coolers is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus EVO which is 159mm high and priced around £24. Most 212 users who want a quiet cooler seem to change the fan, which may make it less of a bargain unless a replacement fan is already available.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:39 am

Garak wrote:So I'm wondering if anyone can make recommendations for a tower cooler that will:
b) be suitable for use with a low speed/noise fan
c) price below £40, preferably below £30
Breaking your £40 limit with the shipping, THERMALRIGHT HR-02 Macho Heatsink (review), it comes already with your known TY140 included, another option Scythe Mugen 3 High Performance Quiet CPU Cooler comes with a good 120mm PWM fan, that can be droped to 300rpm depending on your mobo (bios/software).
Garak wrote:And I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or information to impart in regards to the Deepcool/Alpenfohn or Akasa fans or any other fans which would be suitable. Preferably ~£10 maximum in price.
I would recommend to check also Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 25mm PWM Mid Speed Fan - (SY1225SL12LM-P) (200-1300rpm)

Garak

Post by Garak » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:11 pm

I remembered that there is the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme Rev C available for ~£33. I think if the True Spirit 120 doesn't become available by the time I'm prepared to drop the cash on a new cooler then I would favour that atm.
lodestar wrote:Lian-Li list the maximum CPU cooler height as 165mm, http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... =62&g=spec.

And as you have foam on the side panel, I would guess that 160mm or less would be the target.

The Cogage True Spirit 120, an earlier version of the Thermalright True Spirit, is 156mm high and costs £26 from sources such as http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cogage-t ... l-amd-cpus. There is also the Gelid Tranquillo v2 at 153mm and £25 from http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gelid-tr ... am2plus-am. Of these two, the Gelid has a quieter fan. One of the popular sub-£30 coolers is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus EVO which is 159mm high and priced around £24. Most 212 users who want a quiet cooler seem to change the fan, which may make it less of a bargain unless a replacement fan is already available.
Thanks for your suggestions, over the next few days/weeks I will check out the installation procedures and reviews for those coolers and see if I am willing to go with one of them.
I remember reading that the True Spirit 120 had various build quality improvements over the Cogage True Spirit, which makes me favour waiting in the hope that the updated version becomes available.
I may be imagining it but when I saw True Spirit 140 become available on Scan I thought (imagined?) that the price of the Cogage also went up. Seeing as Scan didn't update their listing of the XFX Black Editions/Pro XXX Edition PSUs I thought it was quite plausible that they had not updated their listing for the heatsink either. I will probably eventually contact them to ask them about this.
Abula wrote:Breaking your £40 limit with the shipping, THERMALRIGHT HR-02 Macho Heatsink (review), it comes already with your known TY140 included, another option Scythe Mugen 3 High Performance Quiet CPU Cooler comes with a good 120mm PWM fan, that can be droped to 300rpm depending on your mobo (bios/software).

I would recommend to check also Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 25mm PWM Mid Speed Fan - (SY1225SL12LM-P) (200-1300rpm)
Thanks for your suggestions, those ones definitely work well with slow fans, I will check out their mounting procedures as well. Their large size and weight are not necessarily appealing to me atm tho.