Low power linux server that beats my currenVia C7 1ghz setup

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cruiserandmax

Low power linux server that beats my currenVia C7 1ghz setup

Post by cruiserandmax » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:22 pm

I have a current linux server runing Ubuntu 10.04 Server based on a Via C7 1ghz CPU, 1GB RAM, and two big hard drives (no raid). The whole thing draws ~22watts idle, and ~35watts under load. Idle for me means uTorrent with torrents running all the time. It also needs no CPU fan so it's nicely quiet (there is a case fan).

Since my system is over five years old, I was thinking there ought to be a newer generation CPU and gigabit ethernet (only 100BASE-T now) that might meet or beat my existing power consumption and possibly even give me a tiny boost for the basic desktop work I do on it (web browsing, scripting, whatever).

I was considering a Cedar Trail Atom, D2700 or N2600. The N260 really piqued my interest since it draws 3.5watts TDP.

I'd also like to up my RAM to 2GB on the new system, but that's not totally critical (not sure how big a factor RAM is with power in my case).

I don't think I'm looking to make any big changes, like getting rid of HDs for SSD, just trying to figure out what the best I could maybe do with current generation low-power CPU/motherboard/RAM compared to what I've got.

Though I'll gladly listen to any suggestions.

Thanks!

Arbutus

Re: Low power linux server that beats my currenVia C7 1ghz s

Post by Arbutus » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:48 pm

my system is over five years old
From your description of your system I am guessing that you want to be pro-active against system failure and are concerned about throwing good money away upgrading an old/obsolete system. The most failure prone devices in your system are mechanical and high current and high voltage and human touch devices. If your system is getting the job done then I would recommend re-evaluating your back up regimen and perhaps replacing the power supply.

cruiserandmax

Post by cruiserandmax » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Really I can't live without gigabit ethernet anymore. I'm just trying to see what other performance I can gain that might benefit some of less frequent "desktop" use I make of the machine without really exceeding (and possibly bettering) my current power footprint.

washu

Post by washu » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:50 pm

I own both a 1.5 GHz C7 system and a few Atom systems (D510 & D525 based). I wouldn't call the Atoms fast, but they are night and day faster than the C7 system. Since you are doing a bit of interactive work you'll probably notice the difference. The better video on the Atoms would likely help as well if you are using the system locally.

The Atoms can usually max out a gigabit connection if they are not doing much else at the same time. Don't fall for putting a "better" NIC in the PCI slot, unless the board has a PCIe slot, the onboard PCIe NIC will transfer faster.

Power wise they are about a wash, the Atoms are a bit better but not by a lot. If you don't already have green disks and/or an efficient power supply those upgrades would probably save you more watts.

cruiserandmax

Post by cruiserandmax » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:56 pm

washu wrote:I own both a 1.5 GHz C7 system and a few Atom systems (D510 & D525 based). I wouldn't call the Atoms fast, but they are night and day faster than the C7 system.
Considering my C7 is the older 1 GHz one, that says a lot. Thanks for the report, and the tips on going more efficient with HDs and the power supply. Good stuff.

HFat

Post by HFat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:20 pm

If you look at the CPU, Atoms are actually much better than C7s power-wise.
The trouble is that most desktop Atom boards are wasteful.

The result is that if you want a $60 replacement for your VIA, you may actually end up with higher idle power consumption. But you'll get lower load power consumption, allowing you to dispense with fans if you care to.
More expensive Atom boards often have additional downsides but if low power consumption is what you want, it's possible to get much lower power consumption. Just look at how much power Atoms laptops burn!

If you look around, you'll see references to ultra-small Atom devices which consume very little power and the small non-standard boards a few companies are selling. None of this stuff is common or designed for your usage however so prepare yourself for trouble if you go down that road.
Gutting a damaged laptop is also an interesting hacky option, especially if you were willing to replace your hard drives.

Intel's boards featuring mobile Atoms (D945GSEJT and the upcoming DN2600MT) are well-distributed, nice (the newest one even has PCIe, washu!) and not too expensive. But it looks like you'll have trouble powering two desktop hard drives with these boards without hacking. You'd save yourself some trouble and you'd get lower power consumption if you could replace your drives with 2.5'' models!
Other manufacturers have similar boards which may allow for the use a regular power supply but they're typically expensive and they're very uncommon so it's hard to know how much power you'll end up consuming (I guess the MSI models aren't a bad bet though).

If you're OK with using fan and with highish load power consumption, an MSI Zacate board is an option as well.
With an efficient power supply and efficient drives, I think you can even keep a fairly cheap maisntream Intel desktop system under 22W/35W. That would obviously be a lot more powerful than anything else discussed above.