Now it is a midrange build, with an Intel i5 as CPU and something, ranging from R7 265 - R9 270X oder GTX 750Ti to GTX 760 as GPU. (At least 60fps @ 2560x1600 in DotA 2.)
Everything should fit in a small mITX case and be really quiet in idle/surfing and quiet while gaming. Room temps.: 20°C - 35°C in summer.
Usually, my last post contains every information up to date, I tend to post huge.
myselphabet wrote:Hi everyone,
Warning: this is going to be a big post! If you don't want to read everything, the lists should contain the most important informations/questions I have.
I am new to this quite awesome site and forum and finally registered to get your optinion on a system which I am struggeling on, the longer I think about it.
I know that my plan is quite similar to this one.
First of all, I am using a 2560 x 1600 monitor. Besides simulations, programming and image editing the future computer will be used for surfing, office, movies and gaming. So the choice of CPU and RAM are final.
I plan on running the computer 24/7. In my current appartement it will stand about 1.5-2.0 meteres away from my head when I am sleeping, 1.0-1.5 meters when I am working with it. So a very quiet system on (near)idle should be the goal.
My game of choice is DotA 2 which is based on the Source engine. I would like to play some games like Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 2 + 3, Crysis 1-3 and maybe Battlefield 4. But since I did only install 4 other games (Portal 2, Amnesia, Slender Gothic 2) the last 4 years (due to my like 10 year old machine) I am used to only focus on DotA 2. So to be honest, a High-End GPU is wanted but not needed at all. I aim on getting constantly 60 fps in DotA (limited by VS). The only other game i am 100% sure to play is HL³... Probably Source Engine 2 and probably/hopefully low sys. req. because of that.
Since I don't need SLI/CF, a soundcard, more than one 2.5" drive or any other extension cards, i consider all ATX and µATX cases (I've seen) a huge waste of space.
So i kind of fell in love with the idea of a mini ITX case.
Now, to sum up;
- 24/7 in sleeping room
- at least constant 60 fps on a 1600p monitor while gaming (DotA 2)
- very quiet in idle/office
- non-disturbing while gaming (headset or music at "normal" volume)
- W-LAN is needed in my current app. as well as in future apps. Most mITX boards have W-LAN onboard.
- only one 2.5" drive is going to be installed inside the case
My current list of items:
- as small as possible (aiming mITX)/no waste of space inside the case
- ready for the lates games
- very minimalistic case: if possible, no lights on the case and no ports visible on the front of the case (kinda Node 605)
Space is a factor i can ignore at all. I could live with a more or less big tower like the Fractal Design Define R4 as well as with a cute small case like the Fractal Design Node 304 or even the Fractal Design Node 605 which are the cases I fell in love with.
- CPU: Intel i-7 4770K (undervolted and maybe -clocked, future years probably overclocked, delided IHS if necessary)
- RAM: 16 GB, probably low profile, maybe low voltage, 1600MHz or more, CL8-8-8-24 for example
- SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB or Crucial m500 256GB
- PSU: some high efficientcy PSU, maybe modular, 450W-550W
- GPU: for High-End Gaming: R9 290 (the most silent model), it has the best price-performance ratio imho
- Cooling: depends on the sizeof the case but 100% air cooling and probably huge
- MB: also depeding on the size of the case
I see the advantage of a small case in positioning: under or on (for me NOT an option, on my desk there is no space for a case) a desk, besides it, or even on a cupboard (my preferred idea, if m-ITX). But there comes something, I am asking myself all the time: Since most mITX cases have fans on both sides, they need a huge footprint, like +10cm on each side, so they can "breath", right? Maybe, when it comes down to narrow spaces, a "huge" tower like the R4 has its advantage that it only needs space in front and behind of it?
Are there any well ventilated mITX cases which only have a fan in the (bottom) front and ony the back and on the top and no side ventilation?
Is it even possible to get acceptable temps in such small cases with such potent hardware? Since I've only seen water cooled i7 CPU solutions I could imagine that even the CPU temperature could run out of control in such a case?
Again, summed up, my questions:
Or the question I am struggeling ever since: is it worth it, building a (nearly) high-end/gaming computer into a mITX case (footprint, temps, volume)?
- Is such potent hardware with my needs (temps and volume at idle and gaming) possible with air cooling a mITX case?
- If I consider DotA 2 my only game I am going to play resulting in a weaker GPU (which one?) is it more realistic to fit this system into a mITX case?
- Am I 100% better off with a µATX or ATX case?
- Are there any cases, mITX, µATX or ATX
- I am better off, since I don't need lots of HDD or expension card space?
- which are pure minimalistic (no lights, no visible ports in the front) with superb ventilation and sound qualities?
Well, I hope I didn't miss any relevant questions in this post and that you haven't left in boredom.
I would be glad about every opinion and advice for my questions. Maybe I will finally make a decision with your help.