Please, I'm asking for help for a super silent build...but with mini itx case

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bokka

Please, I'm asking for help for a super silent build...but with mini itx case

Post by Bokka » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:54 pm

HI! I would try to make a modern gaming build but also very, very quiet. I don't want to hear the PC when it's on (although I'll be using it about 8 feet away).

The problem is that for reasons of space I would need to use a mini itx case.

More specifically, I thought of putting the PC here:

But I understand that it is not an optimal solution.
So at this point I'll probably put the case on top of the cabinet and use a model like this:

https://it.thermaltake.com/core-v1.html

I'm undecided whether to use the Thermaltake V1 or (only exclusively for a matter of silence) the Fractal Design "Core 500" model is better:

https://www.fractal-design.com/products ... 500/black/

As configurations I had set my sights on these two possible:

Still to have a configuration as silent as possible, can these components be fine? Which graphics card model is the quietest among the "cheaper" ones? And as a power supply?

Japanese Capacitor

Re: Please, I'm asking for help for a super silent build...but with mini itx case

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:23 am

I would start with that, if you want your computer being as quiet as possible, you want the biggest possible CPU and GPU coolers. ATX power supplies also tend to be quieter than SFX ones (some SFX-L being here middleground). Bigger PC case is also less likely than tiny one to increase temperatures of components, what means increasing cooling noise. Putting your pc inside closed spaces like some cabinets will also increase temperatures, so noise.

So, do you value more silence or size/look (whatever pushes you towards Small Form Factor)?

Maybe you happen to have space nearby for something bigger than tiny, but not so big as typical midi tower - let's say Fractal Define C or various sizes of newer Define 7: Compact; Mini or Nano https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/
I see these cases as great compromise between size and capacity (big coolers). And their sound-dampening material does great in terms of reducing all of the shitty, high-frequency noises, especially coil whine.

Bokka

Re: Please, I'm asking for help for a super silent build...but with mini itx case

Post by Bokka » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:04 am

Unfortunately I know that a large case would be the ideal solution (once when I lived in the other house I had a Fractal Define 5 which at the time was recommended to me on this forum), but now due to space issues I can barely have a case the size of Thermaltake V1 or Fractal Core 500, even if the ideal would remain the Fractal Node 202, but I know that if the other cases are almost at the limit, for the build I want to create this one is unfeasible.

Is there just no way?

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:19 am

There's no problem to build tiny computer in cases you proposed, but in general building computer of such size is like doing everything to make this pc louder. E.g. tiny cooler = more noise needed to cool CPU; small GPU = more noise to cool it. Just final effect may not end up satisfying. I doubt being able to put your computer into this cabinet is worth it over finding not that much space for 40x40x20 Define 7 Mini, which means quieter computer and no paying premium for Small Form Factor stuff.

Bokka

Post by Bokka » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:55 pm

Japanese Capacitor wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:19 am
There's no problem to build tiny computer in cases you proposed, but in general building computer of such size is like doing everything to make this pc louder. E.g. tiny cooler = more noise needed to cool CPU; small GPU = more noise to cool it. Just final effect may not end up satisfying. I doubt being able to put your computer into this cabinet is worth it over finding not that much space for 40x40x20 Define 7 Mini, which means quieter computer and no paying premium for Small Form Factor stuff.
Yes, it's true. But with the two cases that I put in the link in my previous post, I can insert a video card with even two fans (therefore the same one that I would put in a normal case) and possibly I would put a low profile Noctua as cpu cooler, which in spite of everything should be very quiet.

In particular (according to the specifications on the manufacturer's website) I can insert components with these dimensions:

Power supply type:
ATX (up to 160 mm in length)

GPU max length
310 mm (when 2 HDD slots are removed; graphics cards longer than 170 mm will conflict with PSUs longer than 160 mm)

Max GPU thickness
45 mm

CPU cooler max height
165 mm

Then of course, if I find space for a Define 7 nano or mini, the problem doesn't even arise.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:11 am

Looking at specification only both V1 and Core 500 don't seem that bad in terms of capacity, but I would need to check some reviews in terms of any surprises, restrictions possibly not shown in specifications or not working great in real life. Define cases just give you something extra and crucial in silence-focused builds: sound dampening, so hiding noises and making whole pc sounding nicer way. They are also well engineered and quality, what means ease of build and maintenance and great dust filtration. They are just better option, so I would totally opt for them, but no problem to build silence-focused pc in V1 or 500 - just be conscious that it won't be that great ;)

Bokka

Post by Bokka » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:59 am

Japanese Capacitor wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:11 am
Looking at specification only both V1 and Core 500 don't seem that bad in terms of capacity, but I would need to check some reviews in terms of any surprises, restrictions possibly not shown in specifications or not working great in real life. Define cases just give you something extra and crucial in silence-focused builds: sound dampening, so hiding noises and making whole pc sounding nicer way. They are also well engineered and quality, what means ease of build and maintenance and great dust filtration. They are just better option, so I would totally opt for them, but no problem to build silence-focused pc in V1 or 500 - just be conscious that it won't be that great ;)
In this regard I ask you: since in Thermaltake V1 cases (which is currently the one I prefer followed immediately by the Fractal Core 500), in the following lists which of these cards TENDENCLY are the quietest?

Palit nVidia GeForce RTX 3060
MANLI GEFORCE RTX 3060
GAINWARD NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 "Ghost"
ZOTAC NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 TWIN EDGE

And could you recommend me a very quiet power supply? I would like to mount a 650W one, which is to say that with the Intel configuration I would like to create it should go just fine, perhaps modular.

As CPU cooler I was thinking of the Noctua NH-L9I-17XX CHROMAX.BLACK 92MM which should be quite silent for a I5 13400F CPU.

Bokka

Post by Bokka » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:19 am

Add the "MSI RTX 3060 VENTUS 2x" to the comparision

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:57 am

Don't expect mentioned cards being quiet out-of-the-box - these are the cheap models, budget, so all about cutting corners to lower price. It means weaker cooling solution (higher temperatures and noise) plus low quality, so durability. From my experience with 3060 and similar power draw cards, you want better cooling solution here: tripple-fan one or leading dual-fan like MSI Gaming (need to check if it will fit V1). Budget cards may not be that bad if you plan to tweak them a litle: set fan curve or/and lower power draw. Ofc both will demand sacrifices in terms of temperatures or performance. GPU will be the biggest source of noise in your build and mostly here you will notice limitations coming from tiny case.

There're plenty of PSUs, but worth mentioning are new ATX 3.0 ones. More future-proof thanks to dealing well with rapid power draw changes and with new type of cable which will be standard in future generations of GPUs (you can see it even now on some RTX 4070 and all above). Cheapest decent ATX 3.0 is be quiet! Pure Power 12, preferable, because higher quality; better and semi-passive one is Corsair RMx Shift. Linked builds will take 300-400W during heaviest load, so that's how much you need and anything more is oversizing PSU for quieter operation.

For the CPU cooler, I wouldn't go with downdraft ones you proposed. Classic tower cooler will work better with airflow path and generally in case of silence you want as much heatsink as possible, so I would fill V1's 140mm clearance with bequiet! Pure Rock Slim 2.

Bokka

Post by Bokka » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:13 am

In terms of noiselessness between the MSI Ventus 3060 x2 and the MSI Gaming X 3060 is there much difference?

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:54 am

I don't know how much of a difference, but there is such - even just look at the size of the cards. Ventus for sure won't be great. From my personal experience even tripple-fan 3060 can be dissapointing like 3060 Gigabyte Gaming OC - this thing was way hotter and louder than e.g. also tripple-fan ASUS TUF 3060 Ti, which needed to deal with more heat. Generally never buy budget line cards if you care about silence or anything more than card just working. They are ones the farthest from being quiet, cool and durable. From what I see V1 can fit cards 285mm long and 40,64 thick, so both Ventus and Gaming won't fit. Check what models you can buy, then check their length and width on their official sites and type here all of the models fitting this case - then we can talk about which one to choose.