DFI Lanparty + Freezer 4 (as "NB" cooler)

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tjoff

DFI Lanparty + Freezer 4 (as "NB" cooler)

Post by tjoff » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:24 pm

Hello

Recently bought a new computer and just out of reflex I bought a passive zalman heatsink for the "northbridge". I just naturally assumed that it would work since I've had it on all my other motherboards and because of the flexible mounting.

Anyway, when everything was installed and I thought of installing the heatsink I realized that the heatsink would never fit under the graphic card. Cutting some pinns might work but I would have to cut alot to make it work and it won't be pretty (and probably will degrade the cooling too much).

So I've heard of people (but never found anything on google) using the Freezer 4.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article223-page1.html

Yeah, it's quite large but I guess I'd have to cut the "bridge" between the two sets of heatpipe so that there would be like two small heatsinks.

Hopefully the base will fit under the graphic card and then I'd have to cut the finns in the middle and in worst case cut two of the heatpipes (would that be possible?).

The problem is, besides that I'm not that happy paying that much money for a "might-work-solution" is the mounting. The heatsink weighs 488g (but depending on how much I have to cut it might not be _that_ bad, also I think that includes the fan, which I won't be using) and I don't know but doubt that the mounting will work with the preexisting wholes in the motherboard.

And to that I see two solutions.
One would be to glue, which I'm not that fond of. And giving the angle and the weight I don't think I would trust a glue solution.

The otherone would be to solder an arm on the base of the heatsink that can be used for mounting with the preexisting wholes. Do you think that would work?
The problem is that there is only two wholes in the motherboard so might be hard to get the pressure even.
Maybe I'm being optimistic, but if the base on the heatsink is flat and small enough to fit under the graphic card I think that might work :)

Or if you have any other suggestions I'm all open for ideas. And if someone has a freezer 4 lying around I'd love to know the height of the base, only got about 1 centimeter of height from the motherboard to the graphic card (not including the height of the "northbridge").

Heres an picture of an similar bord, although that card already has an passive heatsink on it, and my fan covers both PCI-E 16x slots.
http://gandalf.vef.free.fr/DFI/DFI-SLi-2.jpg

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:06 am

That was a real bummer, why did they put the NB there? Is this the same for other PCI-e cards as well?

I have a Freezer 4 at home, I'll post the measures when I get there, but I think the base is some 6-7 mm. But then the heatpipes goes straight up from there so I don't think you have the option of sliding the bas in under your VGA card, what about the REVOLTEC NB FREEZER BLUE with the middle fins cut off, might sort of embrace your card.

Also check AC's own site with excellent pics, AC Freezer 4 pics.

/datapappan

tjoff

Post by tjoff » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:08 am

Thanks, I'll take a closer look at the images.
About the REVOLTEC NB FREEZER BLUE, I think it's to small. Just doing nothing gets my NB temperature up to almost 50C (with open case), and thats with a fan. But I don't know the size of the NB freezer yet, but judging from the picture it seems to be too small. But I'll search for more info about it.

I think they put the NB there so that it can be close to the PCI-E ports or something, many PCI-E cards seems to have it there (but not all).

Found a (large) image of my motherboard:
http://www.hardinfo.com/art/site/pic/mo ... d_stor.jpg

I don't know how large the NB is under the HSF but possibly the second PCI-E 16x slot goes free from a heatsink.
But it would be nice to get at solution that works for both PCI-E 16x slots (thats kinda the reason for why I got hem :p).

Measuring from the images of the Freezer 4 I got that I should have 55 mm between the two sets of heatpipes (before they get tall enough to hit the graphic card). Problem is that I guess I have to remove the HSF to see exactly where it will mount (hopefully the base is larger than the NB so that I will have some room to play with).
And seeing as the sets of heatpipes on both sides of the base is actually the same heatpipes I guess you can't just cut two of them on the same side.

Edit:
Another problem might be that the holes might be to close to each other for the base of the Freezer 4 to fit between.

nici

Post by nici » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:27 am

Theres a thread about nF4 chipset cooling somewhere on this site, it has pics of the freezer on a DFI mobo. I think the thread was called nF4 chipset cooling" or something, should be in the cpu&mobo section..

DG

Post by DG » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:41 am

tjoff

Post by tjoff » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:31 am

Sweet :)

Although unfortunately you can't use two PCI-E 16x cards in a setup like that.

More pictures of the same setup can be found here (hard to find, most pictures are 404):
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthr ... e=14&pp=15

For people looking for similar solutions:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6577
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=61809

Those threads gave me some ideas that I can work with. And I could just watercool it :p
Never thought of it since the Zalman passive cooler is so cheap and works so well on most motherboards that I thought that watercooling it would be a waste of money. And seeing as my pump is already running quite slow due to all resistance, but I'll keep my doors open. It would certainly be the easiest solution.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:44 am

Hacking up heatpipes and trying to attach whatever this mutated sink becomes= trouble unless you're the machine shop type. You already have watercool,you don't need a lot for a chipset,go that route.

stukovx

Post by stukovx » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:13 am

I just installed my zalman passive heatsink on to my dfi nf4 today. It was interesting to say the least. I bent the pins using my fingers and a ....lol wow I cant believe I forgot the name of the tool. Oh I remember, pliers....

-_-

anyway, instead of just bending it one half to the left and the other to the right, I figured spreading the fins out like a flower would give it more room to breathe(take in air flow). I havent been able to test it out cause my s-12 500w is being shipped still. Will let you know how it turns out when I get it up and running.

happy new year =D