ABIT AN8 Ultra out of stock everywhere!

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aqm consultant

ABIT AN8 Ultra out of stock everywhere!

Post by aqm consultant » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:52 pm

It's time for me to start spending money, but the key component - ABIT AN8 Ultra - seems to be out of stock everywhere (Newegg, Zipzoomfly, Excaliberpc, NCIX,. . . .). :( Whazzup?? Anybody know someone who does have them? (Calif or US)? Is this a sign of something other than failures of just-in-time inventory mgt?

nici

Post by nici » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:31 pm

No one has them here in Finland either.. Just go for the AN8 SLI, its something like 20€ more expensive and obviously has a slightly different layout of the pci-e and pci slots, but otherwise they should have all the same functions, including silent OTES.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:49 pm

On the Abit website, it states for the ABIT AN8 Ultra

* This product has been discontinued.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/pro ... &model=278

TD22057

Post by TD22057 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:51 pm

JVM wrote:On the Abit website, it states for the ABIT AN8 Ultra

* This product has been discontinued.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/pro ... &model=278
Dang. I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on this board too. I don't think the SLI board is really an option for me. I've got an inverted MB so the heat pipe system won't work. The non-SLI board has a good layout so I was going to put a normal cooler on the NB instead of the heat pipe.

The only other board I've found w/ a decent layout for the NB is the DFI Infinity series but I really wanted the uGuru functionality.

aqm consultant

Post by aqm consultant » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:39 pm

WHY????
Good board, good network/raid/sound/graphics?
What would make them discontinue?? Failures? I've seen a few complaints about using thermal pads rather than grease on the NB, and suggestions to verify HS/heatpipe thermal connection to the NB, but hardly seems worth discontinuing an otherwise outstanding design!
Again, WHAZZUP??

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:46 am

It had some stability problems while overclocking. I'll be interested to see if the new AN8 32X or AT8 32X boards (with a similar heatpipe cooler that also cools the PWMs) will be able to improve on the AN8 performance. I think that the whole market's going towards dual video cards on these high-end boards though, and that is why ABIT is doing this stuff.

aqm consultant

Post by aqm consultant » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:09 pm

I understand that the market may drive things toward SLI (which I don't need), but it's really unclear why the non-SLI Ultra would be discontinued and not the SLI, since instability problems with the Ultra would likely translate upward. Seems weird. I've msg'd ABIT asking why and what (if anything) they're planning as a follow-on. Will post here if I get anything useful.

Meanwhile, anybody got a suggestion for a pci-E, non-SLI, SATA-2 RAID, passive NB MB?? I'm really not asking for too much, eh?

aqm consultant

Post by aqm consultant » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:14 pm

Oops. AN8 SLI now also listed as discontinued at www.abit-usa.com.

TD22057

Post by TD22057 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:22 pm

FYI there's a thread abit forums about this. Not much info yet though...

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.ph ... 439&page=1

hawkeye1
Patron of SPCR

Post by hawkeye1 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:01 am

Dang! This is the motherboard I have. I hope this isn't indicative of anything other than its substandard overclocking features, which I fortunately don't use. This board has performed well for me since installed in Aug 05, and I hope to keep this set-up for the next 12-18 months with no upgrade other than a dual-core CPU when they become more affordable. I hope dual core support is not an issue!

The only complaint I have with this motherboard is that it beeps at me when coming from a cold start, even though I have all sounds turned off in the BIOS. But, after 10 minutes or less the beeps stop, and it's a problem I can live with. I just hope there's nothing more ominous than the overclocking troubles to worry about.

hawkeye

diver

Post by diver » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:54 am

Well, you could get an KN8 SLI if you want the heatpipe northbridge cooler and don't feel like paying $165 for the Asus Premium SLI or even more for one of the new 32 lane SLI boards.

I have a KN8 SLI and it does work, although it does lack some of the features of the AN8 series.

Business 101: The main reason why a product gets discontinued is that it did not sell well. I don't think RMA's was the problem.