Cool'N'Quiet - Can someone help me out?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

grenadier

Cool'N'Quiet - Can someone help me out?

Post by grenadier » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:55 pm

The new 1.3.2.14 amd cpu driver which allows you to enable cool'n'quiet comes as an .exe file instead of just an .inf which really sucks (for me anyways). Problem is that it wants to install onto a C: drive, but my primary drive is F: so the installer won't even start and I can't get at the inf file to just install it manually. Does anyone have any idea where I could download just the inf file?

Another option would be for someone to just send me their .inf file who has already installed this driver package. My e-mail is: lowimpact AT gmail DOT com

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:46 am

Have you checked that you even need this driver installed? CnQ works for me on XP Pro SP2 without installing the driver. I’m using CrystalCPUID to manage the settings, so technically I’m using the CnQ hardware but not the CnQ software!!!

I find it annoying when software doesn’t give you a choice on where to install it and is too lazy to check which partition Windows is installed to.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:38 pm

Are you talking about "amdcpusetup.exe" from this page?

wwenze

Post by wwenze » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:00 pm

smilingcrow wrote:Have you checked that you even need this driver installed? CnQ works for me on XP Pro SP2 without installing the driver. I’m using CrystalCPUID to manage the settings, so technically I’m using the CnQ hardware but not the CnQ software!!!

I find it annoying when software doesn’t give you a choice on where to install it and is too lazy to check which partition Windows is installed to.
CrystalCPUID works on non-CnQ systems, so you aren't using the CnQ hardware, at least from my point of view. :)

But why bother with AMD's crap anyway, doesn't work on my mainboard and I heard many mainboards require their own drivers provided by their own manufacturors. And no manual speed/voltage adjustment, 2 step instead of 3.
Ditch CnQ and use CnQ (Crystal 'n' Quiet).

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:55 am

wwenze wrote:CrystalCPUID works on non-CnQ systems, so you aren't using the CnQ hardware, at least from my point of view. :)
Well you do need a CPU that has CnQ enabled, which is a hardware thing. I’ve never used a motherboard that lacks CnQ support, so I can’t comment on that. I think pretty much all motherboards support it now though.

wwenze

Post by wwenze » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:45 am

smilingcrow wrote:Well you do need a CPU that has CnQ enabled, which is a hardware thing. I’ve never used a motherboard that lacks CnQ support, so I can’t comment on that. I think pretty much all motherboards support it now though.
What CrystalCPUID needs is a CPU that can adjust its multiplier without locking up the system. Support for Intel/AMDK6/K7/Cyrix is written on the website. I don't have an unlocked AXP to try though. This would be good news for those who previously didn't know.

(an A64 mobo that lacks CnQ, well, mine)

Edit: But then again, to adjust multiplier freely the CPU and mainboard need to support P-States, that would mean SpeedStep/PowerNow!/CnQ. This isn't exclusive to A64 (e.g. Mobile AXP + KT333) but it is what A64 has, under a different name. So I guess you can say it is using CnQ hardware.

But part 2 complicates matters. My mainboard doesn't support CnQ because of its BIOS version. CPUMSR fails to work too. But CrystalCPUID works for some reason -> lower dependency on hardware perhaps?

grenadier

Post by grenadier » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:03 am

I've just been using cpuid recently and it's been working great. I'll probably just keep using this until I switch to a Conroe setup. Thanks for all the tips though.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:55 pm

grenadier, did you receive my private message?