E8400 temps should be?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PretzelB

E8400 temps should be?

Post by PretzelB » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:17 am

I'm trying to figure out what the E8400 should run at for temps, or what would be normal. I'm not sure my cooler is seated correctly but this chip has issues with reporting temps so it's hard to tell. I'm running a beta bios on my IP35 Pro to get any kind of reading and it looks like it's this at rest:

CPU 25c
Core 0 41c
Core 1 41c
PWM 30c

Normally I'm used to just one temp for CPU so if anyone can explain the difference between CPU and Core I'd appreciate it. But assuming Core is the real temp to use, 41c seems high, assuming I can trust that temp.

Strid

Post by Strid » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:19 am

Try watching the temperature with CoreTemp. You should go with the core temperatures .. I'm not sure from where the mobo reports the CPU temp, but as you can see, it's definitely not the core temp it reports!

ttp://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

CoreTemp *should* give you the correct temperature, regardless of buggy motherboard reports.

You're safe under 60 degrees celcius, but if you go over 50 C regularly, you probably have little airflow or are using bad TIM or something. These CPUs are running pretty cool as it is.

If it's 41 C idle, try and see, how hot it gets with CoreTemp when it's under load and report back!

Cheers,
Anders

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:33 am

CoreTemp doesn't work on Vista64 unless you adjust the security setting for signed drivers, which I'm not ready to do now.

I have several reporting tools like PC Wizard 2008 and HW Monitor that seem to report the same thing. But there is a lot of debate on the Abit forums about the new Wolfdale chips not reporting correctly and/or the bios not being compatible to read the temps (or combo of both).