ASUS P5Q Deluxe and fan control

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BeerCan

ASUS P5Q Deluxe and fan control

Post by BeerCan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:54 am

Has anyone had any luck with the MB controlling the fans with this model? If I use the fan control in the bios it lowers the fans 150-200 rpm's but that is it. It does not adjust them for temp at all.

If I turn the bios off and use speedfan things get stranger. It will bring the fans to zero and then when the system gets loaded they will rapidly go to full speed.

I am wondering if this MB does not use voltage for fan control. Fans are a mixture of scythe SS and SF

Munters

Post by Munters » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:54 am

My P5Q-E works just fine.

Both Scythe input fans (SA0925DFB12L) are lowered from 1600 rpm to 800 rpm. The output fan (SFF21E) went down from 1200 to 800 too.
Only the processor fan (SY1025SL12M) didn't slow down, cause the motherboard handles PWM fans only. So I bought a fanmate2 to slowdown this fan to 800 rpm too.

With an overclocked Q9950 and a passive 3870 the temperature doesn't rise high enough to speed up the fans by itself.
I know the motherboard does speed up the fans if temperature is high however, as I supplied hot air to the input fans (heated the air in front of the case with a hair-dryer), and finally saw the rpm started to raise.