nForce4 Chipset Fan Replacement Thread

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nici

Post by nici » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:55 am

Listen up folks! id like to make an announcment(sp?), i added a 50x10mm TITAN fan on the NB47J wich is supposed to be 7,7CFM and 27dBA at 12v so im running it at 5V and chipset temp stays at 50 under load, with the fan being inaudible. If i turn it off without making any other changes, the temps rise to 65c. So even a tiny fan wich moves very very little air helps a lot :) And this really is a 50x10mm fan, probably blowin 2-3cfm. this is better results than with a 80mm nexus at the edge of the mobo blowing full speed at the chipset. it weights nearly nothing so it sits securely with a piece of double sided tape. Oh, its not inaudible at 12V but just so you know the temps drop down to 40c idle from 48c idle. yes only 2 degree rise during load vs. idle, compared to 17c difference without the fan :shock: in this case load=looping "return to proxycon" in 3dMark05 at 1280x1024 with full AA and AF.

andrewscarella

ZALMAN HEATSINK WITH arctic cooling NV Silencer

Post by andrewscarella » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:08 pm

So which zalman heatsink should i buy if I have the NV silencer on a 7800 gt. I plan on cutting the plastic on the silencer to cool the heatsink. Is this enough cooling on the heatsink without an additional fan?

Also, do the zalman heatsinks come with the metal peice that i need to attach it to my a8n sli deluxe?

Thanks-
Andrew

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:49 pm

Can people tell me what kind of temps they're getting on their passive nforce 4 chipsets?

I'm using an A8N-SLI Premium with it's passive heatpipe, and I've overclocked my 4400+ to 2.5 Ghz, but I'm getting very dual core load chipset temps (49C for the CPU, and 54C for the chipset).

I'm thinking that it could be related to the fact that my Scythe Ninja's fan (a Nexus 120 mm) doesn't really blow down at the exhaust end of the heatpipe, and the temperatures are just building. I'm actually thinking of getting a Big Typhoon and switching the fans, so I get some 'up/down' cooling of the heatpipe, and I guess the RAM as well.

Anyone got experiences/advice about this? (What's the safe high for nforce 4 chipset temps for starters?)

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:36 pm

jermaink wrote:Anyone got experiences/advice about this? (What's the safe high for nforce 4 chipset temps for starters?)
I think they're good into the 70's, right? 54 under load sounds just fine.

malcolmlewis

Post by malcolmlewis » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:05 pm

jermaink wrote:Can people tell me what kind of temps they're getting on their passive nforce 4 chipsets?

I'm using an A8N-SLI Premium with it's passive heatpipe, and I've overclocked my 4400+ to 2.5 Ghz, but I'm getting very dual core load chipset temps (49C for the CPU, and 54C for the chipset).

I'm thinking that it could be related to the fact that my Scythe Ninja's fan (a Nexus 120 mm) doesn't really blow down at the exhaust end of the heatpipe, and the temperatures are just building. I'm actually thinking of getting a Big Typhoon and switching the fans, so I get some 'up/down' cooling of the heatpipe, and I guess the RAM as well.

Anyone got experiences/advice about this? (What's the safe high for nforce 4 chipset temps for starters?)
Hi
Im using an A8N-SLI Premium, with a X2 4400+ have OCed to 2.46GHz with the following temps;

NO LOAD | FULL LOAD
CPU TEMP: 26 C | 43 C
M/B TEMP: 27 C | 27 C
CHIP TEMP: 25 C | 41 C
GPU TEMP: 37 C | 47 C

Cheers
Malcolm °¿°

Juliusz

Post by Juliusz » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:37 am

with my hardware (look at my sig) will zalman nb47j fit? will it not collide with 7800gt capacitors or pcb?

EDIT: Everything fits perfect! zalman is burning... :shock: can't hold finger for more than 1 sec after a game or prime95, but i don't noticed any problems so i don't care about it, or maybe i should?? :?

nici

Post by nici » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:40 am

Juliusz wrote:with my hardware (look at my sig) will zalman nb47j fit? will it not collide with 7800gt capacitors or pcb?

EDIT: Everything fits perfect! zalman is burning... :shock: can't hold finger for more than 1 sec after a game or prime95, but i don't noticed any problems so i don't care about it, or maybe i should?? :?
Get a 40 or 50mm fan and mountit on the NB47j, you can run it at very low speed and it doesnt need to move the air much to make a significant difference in temps. I posted about this earlier i this thread too, but thats some time ago..

I would guesstimate that your chipset is running about 50-55c if you can hold your finger on it for a second or so.. The good thing is that since its burning hot at least you know that the heat transfer between the chipset and HS works as its supposed to :wink:

JeeV

Post by JeeV » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:14 pm

Hi, my Chipset fan is dead, and Im thinking about getting a NB47J...

The problem is, I don't know if the airflow inmy case is goodenough not to kill my MB

my specs are: AMD3500+, A8N-E Deluxe, GF6800GT, Audiophile24/96, 200gb HD, 1024MB Ram,
in a Thermaltake Shark case(Front mounted 120mm case fan, Rear mounted 120mm)

Do you think its ok to use a passive NB47J?

tnks in advance

Tyrven

Post by Tyrven » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:47 pm

That mod in the original post is really sexy; I like that the GPU cooler doubles as a fan for the heatsink effectively. I considered briefly getting the TForce4 SLI board from Biostar but decided against it because the Northbridge chipset is right next to where the back of my PCI-E card would be -- and since I have a similar cooler on my HIS board, I was afraid they'd hit eachother. I had considered that if they were next to one another then the cooler would provide additional benefit but I had NOT considered the option of cutting open the cooler if they ran into one another.

Anyway, for my NForce4U chipset I bought the $7 Cooler Master heatsink and fan (from Egghead). It's a very quiet fan (with an LCD that lights up according to fan speed; not something I care about but it actually makes it easy to monitor fan movement heh). With C&Q it almost never turns on but when it does it doesn't add to the noise signature of the case at all. I just tossed out the heatsink and attached it to the existing one on my board -- it screwed in without problem.

Normally I would have shopped around a bit more and probably chosen a different fan, but at $7 alongside essentially free shipping (since I was ordering a number of components alongside it already) I took a risk and was very pleased with the outcome.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:30 am

JeeV wrote:Hi, my Chipset fan is dead, and Im thinking about getting a NB47J...

The problem is, I don't know if the airflow inmy case is goodenough not to kill my MB

my specs are: AMD3500+, A8N-E Deluxe, GF6800GT, Audiophile24/96, 200gb HD, 1024MB Ram,
in a Thermaltake Shark case(Front mounted 120mm case fan, Rear mounted 120mm)

Do you think its ok to use a passive NB47J?

tnks in advance
Welcome to SPCR!

Hi JeeV, it's worth a little search as there are a few interesting current threads on just this subject which I hope will answer your question.
If it's a recent MB you might be able to get ASUS to replace the chipset fan under warranty which some guys seem to be doing.
As Tyrven says you have various 'replacement' chipset HSF units and also the NB47J which you can always add a fan to if required.

JeeV

Post by JeeV » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:30 am

Thanks for your reply, I think I'll give asus a call, and see what they can do for me.

JeeV

Post by JeeV » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:24 pm

Today I bought the NB47J and installed it. It works fine, but gets pretty hot. I hope installing an old fan I had will keep the temperature from getting too high.

maybe I should have turned the NB47J 90deg so the airflow from the fan would go 'through'it.. Do you think this would make a significant difference?

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:50 pm

JeeV wrote:Do you think this would make a significant difference?
A difference yes, but probably not 'significant'. If you have time and are willing to take the MB out again, then give it a go and let us know :D

JeeV

Post by JeeV » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:45 am

I will leave it like this.. With the extra fan the NB47J doesn't get very hot. After watching some dvd's n stuff (about 6hrs) I could touch the NB47J with my whole hand. It feels warm, but not Hot as it dit before adding the fan.

Im a happy man :D

mjordan23

Post by mjordan23 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:03 am

Hi friends. I'm spanish user... my apologizes for my poor english. :oops:
My solution in mi mobo, an Asus A8N-E, was regulate with a rheobus (Akasa AK-FC-03) rpms of chipset. Usually chipset spin at 5300rpm...; with rheobus spin at 2800 aprox. Is not a perfect solution, but is acceptable.
Byez

russt

Just modified ASUS A8N-E with Active Cooling

Post by russt » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:02 pm

My ASUS A8N-E motherboard's northbridge fan just died. After doing some research and finding that boards using only a passive cooler are running too hot, I decided to try something I had in stock: A Crystal Orb.

Amazingly, it fit perfectly and keeps the chipset at 91 (F) with the case assembled.

Thought I would share this for people who purchased this mb (A8N-E) which I think is a very good board but who have run into the inevitable chipset fan issue.

Here are the pics:

http://russtanner.com/gallery/main.php? ... temId=8793

Hope this helps.

geekbanter

Post by geekbanter » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:24 pm

I have a huge complaint against the NB47J :evil: This last summer we had a heat wave go through and my room was getting up to 85-90F. The NB47J was performing fine (mid 50-low 60C) on my Epox 9NPA+ Ultra. I came home to find my computer locked up, thinking nothing of it I rebooted and it ran fine until about midnight when it locked up again. I shut off the computer and went to bed. The next morning it wouldn't post so I tore the case open and there was the NB47J, hanging ineffectively from my motherboard. The plastic clips that come with it broke! :shock: So I tried remounting the NB47 after modifying the original MB clips. Tried to boot and it worked! Boy those Nforce chipset are hardy, mine ran a day and half without a heatsink! I was so happy until the evening that day when it froze, I rebooted but I got a code 44 in post. Of course according to the manual error 44 is “reservedâ€

Natronomonas

Post by Natronomonas » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:40 pm

Used to have nb47J, but ended up swapping it for a HR-05 SLI. Didn't need the SLI version, but it was on special. It's still hot (passive) but not as hot as the NB got to.
I'd recommend it if you have room, because the open grill/radiator is much better for cooling with low/diffuse airflow.
When I have a nearby 120mm on (summer) it makes a big difference with the HR-05, compared to the NB, where the airflow didn't help so much.

Oh and geekbanter - don't feel too bad about losing the mobo. I lost the mobo AND CPU when my NB47 wasn't on as tight as I thought...

J. Sparrow

my Titan TTC-CUV2AB experience on nF4

Post by J. Sparrow » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:13 am

Hello! new user, old thread :)

I was recently forced to replace my NB fan for it was dying with horrible noises.

I wanted a clean, inobtrusive solution, and moreover I didn't trust going passive, so I chose a Titan TTC-CUV2AB. It's a VGA cooler but similar to the original cooler.

It has all copper base (mirror finished), and the kit also comes with some Titan Nano Grease which is not bad at all (way better than the infamous Nano Blue)

Connected to my Zalman MFC1, the Titan can spin at any speed between 2200 (5 V) and 4500 rpm (11 V); in the past two months, it has always start up fine at minimal speed.

At 2200, the chipset temperature is 37-38 °C (with ambient temperature being 19-20 °C) and the fan is inaudible. At max speed, I can only hear the air being moved.

FYI, the system is running an overclocked Opteron 165 300x9, and will tolerate higher HTT speeds with no harm to the chipset. The mainboard is a MSI K8N SLI Platinum.

Hope it will be useful :)

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:44 am

THat Titan is pretty popular over at DFI Street i believe. SHould work nicely. I run a HR05 SLI, had to bend the heatpipes for it to fit along with a Ninja.

I run a 165 at 290x9 @1.3V. I can easily run 2800MHz but that requires 1.4V, 3GHz is likely possible, at least i can idle in windows, but it would need some serious(noisy) cooling to keep it stable at 1.55V..

Right now my chipset is at 39c with an ambient temp of about 21c. I have no casefans and the case is open, the only fan in the whole system is the fan on the 7900GTO running at 25% whick is something like 700-800rpm.

laserred

Post by laserred » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:50 am

Another stock-size cooler that has been reported to be way quieter is the Evercool VC-RE, available at places like SVC for around $9. I just ordered an HR-05SLI, but only because it will put the radiator area right in front of my 120mm fan in the upper HDD cage. That leaves my 7900GT fan as by far the loudest thing in my case, even running at 25% speed using RivaTuner. I've got the chipset cooler at like 55% using SmartGuardian, and it keeps the NB temps around 105*F, but less tiny fans is always better. Any HR-03 is on the way too to sandwich its way between the 7900 and Ninja. Should be pretty quiet then. :)

J. Sparrow

HR-05 SLI cooled by NV Silencer?

Post by J. Sparrow » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:02 pm

I've been considering the HR-05 SLI recently: I have an nVidia video card which is cooled down by an AC NV Silencer.

The HR-05 SLI could be mounted with the radiator facing down, so that the airflow generated by the Silencer would actively cool down the chipset too :idea:

nici

Post by nici » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:43 am

I don't know if that was a question, but yes.

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:57 am

Half of a question, actually :D

It could be mounted that way, but I have to check if there's enough space for it in my rig.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:35 am

If this is your mobo, you do indeed need the SLI version because of the Silencer. The normal version could fit, but its hard to say without seeing the machine.

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:44 pm

That's the one, the stock HR-05 wouldn't fit with a video card in the first slot.

The NV Silencer is pretty thick, though, it might block the HR-05 SLI... A took a quick pic, hope it's clearer than my explanation :)

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:40 am

I have Zalman Nbf-47 on nForce4 it really gets burning hot, even system hasn't crashed even once. So I decided to get Hr-05 Sli version. Just in case, since then I can get it pseudo-passive. And try to to turn Hr-03 up to make it pseudo passive also ^^