Question about enabling intel speedstep with RMclock utility

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rich

Question about enabling intel speedstep with RMclock utility

Post by rich » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:25 am

Hi there, i'm new to this board and i've recently bought a PC based on the MSI speedster motherboard. I want to enable speedstep on my pentium M but this has not been possible with the current bios/MSI software.

Trying to find a solution I came across a german forum where RMclock from rightmark.org was recommended, it supposedly even activates speedstep with the asus CT479 systems.

I've been playing around with this utilty and it seems to be working, in cpu-z the CPU frequenties change and processor temps go down significantly in idle mode. It seems to be working, but i'm a little freakish on using third party software in tweaking my PC hardware. So i'm wondering if you guy's have any experience with this utility and know if this software is safe for your PC

Thanks!!

Tak

Post by Tak » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:12 am

I've been using RMclock on my PC and laptop for the last few months, it's a great piece of software.

I set up Speedstep on the PC so it only increases clock speed when it needs to. I don't undervolt as it makes make my overclock unstable. Temps are reduced when running at low clock speeds (i.e. most of the time).

On the laptop, I use speedstep and undervolting, and it works great. Improved battery life, less heat and therefore less fan activity and less noise.

It's perfectly safe, it just enables functions already in the CPU that the motherboard is unable to do. Once you find stable voltage settings (if you undervolt), the system will run fine.

How's your MSI Speedster? I'm looking to get one soon for a little project. I'm particularly interested in its overclocking capabilities.

rich

Post by rich » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:36 pm

Tak wrote:I've been using RMclock on my PC and laptop for the last few months, it's a great piece of software.

I set up Speedstep on the PC so it only increases clock speed when it needs to. I don't undervolt as it makes make my overclock unstable. Temps are reduced when running at low clock speeds (i.e. most of the time).

On the laptop, I use speedstep and undervolting, and it works great. Improved battery life, less heat and therefore less fan activity and less noise.

It's perfectly safe, it just enables functions already in the CPU that the motherboard is unable to do. Once you find stable voltage settings (if you undervolt), the system will run fine.

How's your MSI Speedster? I'm looking to get one soon for a little project. I'm particularly interested in its overclocking capabilities.
Thanks for the reply. Since at first there were no replies to my post I decide to use the program. And it has been running without any problems for some time now. However I've run into some problems during my experimentation period. I tried using P-state transitions and On Demand Clock Modulation (ODCM) simultanously, but that would result in significant performance loss. So i've changed to P-state transitions alone. This has the best temperature results without losing performance.

Regarding to overclocking. My system runs stable for some time now and the Pentium M770 has given no performance problems, so there is no reason for me to overclock. The board lets you manually change the fsb from 133 to 163mhz (max). I've seen a review of one guy who tried overclocking. It's located here:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=312223&cks=PRL

I don't know if this guy uses the new bios.

There are however some small issues with the installation of this board (mistake in the manual on the placement of the clearcmos jumper and the relatively short distance between the CPU socket and VGA card resulting in not beeing able to install certain CPU coolers when using big VGA-cards). If you have any other questions regarding the board, feel free to ask.

rich

Tak

Post by Tak » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:52 pm

Thanks Rich, I also use the P-states, I haven't tried the ODCM yet.

Reason I'm interested in overclocking is because Pentium M chips are expensive so it's better value for money to get a low-end one and overclock it :)

The max FSB on the Speedster is disappointing but I hear rumours that MSI will be releasing a new BIOS to allow higher FSBs. I think I will wait until that is released before I purchase the board.

I was aware of the heatsink/PCI-E issues (from your previous posts ;)) and it doesn't seem too bad as some heatsinks will still fit.

Out of interest where did you buy the board from? (I'm trying to find the cheapest source - I'm in the UK)

Cheers

rich

Post by rich » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:17 pm

Tak wrote:Out of interest where did you buy the board from? (I'm trying to find the cheapest source - I'm in the UK)

Cheers
I bought it from komplett.nl, the link I provided in my earlier post takes you directly to the UK version.

Rich