~~~ Asus A8N-SLI Premium and Chipset Active Cooling ~~~

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

qirtasiye

~~~ Asus A8N-SLI Premium and Chipset Active Cooling ~~~

Post by qirtasiye » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:42 pm

Hi, I've recently purchased the "FANLESS CHIPSET COOLING" mobo.
However, after 10-15mins of regular usage, the chipset - itself - gets very hot (almost untouchable.)

* And then I put a 92mm-fan blowing on top of it, but the chipset was still hot (due to its small surface area probably.)

* And then, I moved the fan on top of the heatsink (next to CPU.)
The heatpipe should transfer heat from the chipset to the heatsink. Actually It does very well. After a short preriod of time, the chipset was so cool that you can easily touch it without feeling the heat.

▪▪ So it means that I have to blow air onto the heatsink to keep my fanless chipset cool.

▪▪ It also shows that the CPU cooler is not helping to cool down the heatsink.

▪▪ I also noticed that on this page: "http://vr-zone.com.sg/?i=2993&s=6" ASUS provides an optional fan to cool down the heatsink for A8N32-SLI.
Since I got the A8N-SLI Premium there is no such optional fan provided.

My Question is:
How should I keep the chipset cool? or What are my fan options?

PS. My motorboard sits on my desk, it's not in the pc case yet.

darthan

Post by darthan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:56 pm

Run Prime95 torture test for 24 hours. If there are no errors, stop worrying about your hot chipset, it's fine. The thing is, it could get to 60C and be just fine and you can't tell the difference between 60C and 90C (which might also be tolerable, if you go by the standards of graphics cards) with your finger.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:21 am

The nForce4 chipset can tolerate temperatures at well above 100C, even 120C i think. Mine is scorching to the touch, but I have had no instability or random lock-ups whatsoever.

qirtasiye

Post by qirtasiye » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:28 pm

OK, somewhat I agree what you say
however, isn't it better to have a cool running chipset rather to have a Bunsen burner chipset? :P

anyways, this is not a big issue... 8)

Poisonsnak

Post by Poisonsnak » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:17 pm

What I did is get the Thermalright XP-120 and install it so its overhang hangs over the little heatsink by the I/O panel, this does a fantastic job of cooling the chipset even with a silenx 120mm.

hobie_od

Re: ~~~ Asus A8N-SLI Premium and Chipset Active Cooling ~~~

Post by hobie_od » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:40 pm

qirtasiye wrote: PS. My motorboard sits on my desk, it's not in the pc case yet.
I thought the heatpipe had to be in a vertical orientation to allow the fluid to correctly transfer heat to the radiator.

I am using an Antec p150 with stock cooling fans set on low and even after running a game, my board is not too hot to touch. Usually does not see above 42C.