thermal transfer of Arctic Silver Compound vs. AS Adhesive

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jonjan

thermal transfer of Arctic Silver Compound vs. AS Adhesive

Post by jonjan » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:54 am

The CNPS9500 have large air gaps between the heatpipes and where they contact with the heatblock. To improve heat transfer, I filled in the air spaces with Arctic Silver 5

I'm now wondering if AS Adehsive would transfer heat better than the non-adhesive compound.

from AS's site, they say AS5 thermal compound has a thermal conductivity of:
>350,000W/m2 °C (0.001 inch layer)
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

for the AS Adhesive, they use the measurement of:
thermal conductivity. Greater than 7.5 W/mK
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silv ... hesive.htm

I'm wanting to learn how these 2 measurements compare. Anyone have any ideas?

Jon
http://www.helpusall.com
Strive for stillness and urgent action, in accordance with your highest guidance Don't be limited by the set choices/expectations offered by society; explore life freely and create what your life will be You can never win, and you can never lose, because the 'game' is always in-play. Just do your best all the time

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:59 am

It is highly unlikely that you have access to anything capable of measuring any potential difference even if you have the ability to eradicate every other variable. For the ultimate low-down on thermal compaound may I refer you to Dan

wwenze

Post by wwenze » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:12 am

I'd love to say "these 2 measurements shows a difference of two degree celcius".
In theory, given enough information, the workings of the entire universe can be calculated. But we never have enough information. Just read reviews, those are more accurate than random numbers generated by the marketing department.

And Dan's article is plain hilarious. :lol:
I do have a cheap generic goop bought in bulk that has almost the performance of AS5. Oh wait, almost all goop has almost the performance of AS5. Just that this one is one of the better ones.

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:21 am

Under normal situations, the thermal grease is better then the thermal adhesive since more thermal grease tends to bleed out due to clamping pressure.

For contact between heatpipes and fins, I doubt there would be any difference between the two since theres no clamping force.

As for the CNPS9500, I wouldn't bother since the heatpipes are usually very effective at conducting heat that you might actually be improving heat transfer from the heatpipe to the edge of the block (as in maybe a 1/1000th to 1/1000000th of a degree difference...).

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:30 am

If you simply convert the first number given, W/m^2K to W/mK given the thickness provided, you get:

AS5 Thermal Compound: 8.9 W/mK
AS Adhesive: 7.5 W/mK

so the AS5 has a slightly higher bulk thermal conductivity than the adhesive. This is, of course, subject to a number of caveats related to the specific application as well as the general unreliability of reported commercial data.