Non-Intel Conroe Motherboards?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DanW

Non-Intel Conroe Motherboards?

Post by DanW » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:00 pm

I was trying to figure out earlier on which boards support the C2D chips, on the intel NB chip and a non-intel NB i.e. a nvidia chipset.

After a bit of digging I came up with the Asus P5W DH Deluxe, but that's a crossfire motherboard, and looking around I'd rather get a 7900-something.

...I'm really confused about all this conroe business, the only thing I do know is that the E6600 wipes the floor with the chip I was going to get (the 4400+)...

:oops:

Chrissicom

Post by Chrissicom » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:52 pm

If you want to buy a Conroe and don't need Crossfire or SLI I would highly recommend the Asus P5B (Deluxe or non-Deluxe). It has better memory performance, better I/O performance (ICH8(R)) and is also designed for Conroe instead of just Conroe compatible. There are no decent non-Intel chipset Conroe solutions on the market yet I think, at least not in Europe.

L3thal

Post by L3thal » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:09 pm

I too am looking for a mobo for my E6600 C2D I just ordered. I would like to go with a single Nvidia GPU (EVGA 7900GT KO) instead of an ATI card(s), however, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there right now except the older Asus P5N32-SLI SE, which is an Nforce 4 board.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797 this has some good info. From reading this article, it seems like the Asus P5W DH Deluxe is the board to have for the time being. I think I read somewhere that Nvidia is working on SLI/Nforce 5 chipsets for C2D.

DanW

Post by DanW » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:09 am

hmmm, at least my question made some sense :lol:

Looks like it's the wrong time to be buying any new CPUs for now...

So I've gone ahead and bought a 7800GS agp for my current system to tide me over for a bit. At least this way, I might actualy be able to play HL2:Episode One which I just ordered. Direct X problems... gah!

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:36 pm

well,
Asrock makes a kick butt Conroe board, two of them. super cheap, and it sticks it to the man.

no intel on it, it appears

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Non-Intel Conroe Motherboards?

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:39 am

DanW wrote:After a bit of digging I came up with the Asus P5W DH Deluxe, but that's a crossfire motherboard, and looking around I'd rather get a 7900-something.
You know you can use an Nvidia card on a Crossfire mobo, right? You just can't use two of them.

L3thal

Re: Non-Intel Conroe Motherboards?

Post by L3thal » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:20 am

Rusty075 wrote:
DanW wrote:After a bit of digging I came up with the Asus P5W DH Deluxe, but that's a crossfire motherboard, and looking around I'd rather get a 7900-something.
You know you can use an Nvidia card on a Crossfire mobo, right? You just can't use two of them.
That's like putting a big Ford sticker on the back window of your Chevy...sure it'll work, just wouldn't be proper. :wink: