Troubleshooting: System shuts down after a few seconds

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

moritz

Troubleshooting: System shuts down after a few seconds

Post by moritz » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:12 am

Hey guys,

didn't know where to put this since there is no forum dedicated to troubleshooting, but I direly need some help. Since I suspect the CPU or the mainboard could be the culprit, this forum is as good as any.

So I got myself a new system to put into my PC60 Lian Li case. E6300, Gigabyte P965-S3, 2x 1GB RAM, an X1900 GT and a Seasonic S12-430. I put it all together, and it worked fine - for a couple of seconds, then it shuts down. From what I can tell in those brief moments, everything is detected fine, from the CPU to the memory, even the HD when I've got it connected. But then, zap, it's all gone.

As it stands, all that is connected is the mainboard obviously, the CPU, 1 GB RAM and the graphics card, ie the bare minimum required for the system to even start.

My first suspect was the PSU, after all the problem seems to be related to power. So I connected my old one, a sort of Seasonic OEM, too low in spec to run the system in earnest (300W I think), but enough to give it a try. It has all the connectors except for the PCI-E one, but the card contained an adapter. Anyway, the same problem occurs, unfortunately, so I guess it's not the PSU.

That's where I'm at now. The components left are the graphics card, the mainboard and the CPU. I kind of doubt it's the CPU, I would guess with the CPU it's either go or no go. So the mainboard or the graphics card? Unfortunately I don't have any replacements of either to test it, although I can probably get my hand on a PCI graphics card, but not before the weekend.

Before I forget, another thing I did was reset the CMOS, didn't do me any good.

You can imagine I'm really frustrated right now, we've all been there before. Any recommendations would be welcome.

moritz

Post by moritz » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:51 am

An update: it seems the CPU is getting too hot. A friend told me that might be it, and I was going to prove him wrong only to see the CPU at 85° (CELSIUS!) (this is in the BIOS PC health thingie) and rising FAST. At something beyond 100° the computer shut off. So I guess that's it.

But - how on Earth can this happen? I didn't mention it before, my HSF is a Scythe Katana CU (the Ninja wasn't in stock, god damnit). It's sitting there on the CPU, fan attached and everything. The install was horribly difficult (I was warned), but I'm not sure how I could have messed it up in a way leading to this sort of total failure. I mean, even if nothing works and the heat pipes are broken (anybody know how to find out if they are?), the thing should still take more than 20 seconds to heat up that much.

Another friend of mine suggested the thermometer might be broken. Is that even possible, since it's CPU internal?

Another thing, anybody know how likely it is that I fried my CPU already?

moritz

Post by moritz » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:25 am

Another update: I'm an idiot. The Katana ISN'T EVEN TOUCHING the CPU. So yeah, you can screw up the install by a whole lot. Of course it still looks great when you're not trying hard to discover the gap. So WTF do I do now? Either I take it apart and see if I made some glaring mistake. Or maybe the screws are not tight enough? I guess that's what I'll try first.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:06 pm

I hope your CPU isn't fried. Did you follow the instructions?

Which version of the Katana do you have? Is it one specifically designed for S775 or one that requires you to change a backplate?

moritz

Post by moritz » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:12 pm

I hope so, too. I'll see in a few minutes. I actually made a mistake installing the Katana. I did try very hard to follow instructions, but it was a fairly easy mistake to make, right on the first step. Too hard to explain. I got the Katana CU, which is multi-socket, so I had to install a whole bunch of crap to get it to work on 775.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:31 pm

AFAIAA C2D has thermal throttle mechanism, so it won't have fried by heat.

moritz

Post by moritz » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:53 pm

jaganath wrote:
AFAIAA C2D has thermal throttle mechanism, so it won't have fried by heat.
Yep! At least it appears to be okay so far. I must have triggered the emergency shut down of the CPU at least 20 times - I basically tried hard to kill it. Phew.