G35 mATX boards?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

IsLNdbOi

G35 mATX boards?

Post by IsLNdbOi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:02 am

I know Asus just released their P5E-VM HDMI G35 mATX board. Anyone know when other companies are releasing G35 mATX boards? I can't wait to see what Gigabyte releases.

gentonix

Post by gentonix » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:05 am

Late december or early 2008.

Here's a picture of the Gigabyte board:
http://www.computerbase.de/bild/news/17135/25/

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:50 am

Ugh there's a parallel port on it. The way Asus arranged the PCIe and PCI slots is better too. I'd rather lose a PCIe 1x slot than a PCI slot. I think I'll get the Asus then.

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:23 pm

IsLNdbOi wrote:Ugh there's a parallel port on it. The way Asus arranged the PCIe and PCI slots is better too. I'd rather lose a PCIe 1x slot than a PCI slot. I think I'll get the Asus then.
I hope you see the irony of complaining about parallel ports (old tech) and then asking for a PCI (old tech) over PCIe.
:D

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:34 pm

Well it's different. There are still many useful (to me anyway) PCI cards out there and not many PCIe 1x cards. However, there are NO useful parallel port devices out there. I haven't used a parallel port for years.

Mikey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mikey » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:25 pm

The point is debatable, but a PCI slot is more useful than a Parallel port is.

Personally i'd be happy if they killed off parallel, serial, and IDE in one swoop.

PCI can stay, it's days aren't over yet. There's still a number of devices that you can't get on anything but (or have limited choices in pci-e, soundcards come to mind).

:)

jrscherer

Post by jrscherer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:50 pm

I can officially agree with the parallel port and the IDE channel, yet Serial port, that needs to stay for server and OEM custom computers, trust me on that one, work for a company that does that type of work.

gentonix

Post by gentonix » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:34 am

IsLNdbOi wrote:Ugh there's a parallel port on it. The way Asus arranged the PCIe and PCI slots is better too. I'd rather lose a PCIe 1x slot than a PCI slot. I think I'll get the Asus then.
Lose PCIe because of using a discrete graphics card? Then why not get a G33 board if you are using discrete graphics? There is no adventage from G35 over G33 other than the slightly improved integrated graphics core (DirectX 10, OpenGL 2.0 etc.).

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:43 am

gentonix wrote:
Lose PCIe because of using a discrete graphics card? Then why not get a G33 board if you are using discrete graphics? There is no adventage from G35 over G33 other than the slightly improved integrated graphics core (DirectX 10, OpenGL 2.0 etc.).
Not sure what you're saying there. I said I'd rather lose a PCIe 1x slot rather than a standard PCI slot. There's not much out there for PCIe 1x slots.

With the Asus, if you use a double slot card, you'll lose the PCIe 1x slot next to the 16x slot INSTEAD of losing a standard PCI slot.

Also, the Asus because it's the only mATX board out that doesn't have a parallel port AND doesn't have the crippled 16x slot AND has 6 USB ports on the backplane AFAIK. The only other mATX board out there that has the same thing (6 USB ports, no parallel port) is the Gigabyte S2H, but that has the crippled PCIe 16x slot.