IP35 Pro and Fan Controls

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

figment

Post by figment » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:06 am

I've got my IP35 Pro all set up and running right now. Everything worked out as good as I could hope and I haven't run into any real problems.

Now, to address your comments/questions:

I thought my case was a bit fan-heavy, but you've got me beat. Feel free to check, but I doubt you need the lower-compartment fan. My PSU fan (Modu82+ 525W) spins at just 450rpm and my hard drive still runs pretty cool.

As for the Northbridge, if we assume that the heatpipes are actually functional, then the PWM temperature should be an approximate reflection on the NB temperature. Overclocking stories of bumping up the NB voltage seem to agree as people report higher PWM temperatures as well, though this wouldn't be unexpected even if it weren't the case.

What are your PWM temperatures, by the way? Is there a reason you feel the need to add more NB cooling? I have a Q9450 running at 400MHz FSB on just stock voltage. My PWM temperatures are only around 50. Are yours significantly higher?

I'm running Vista64 Home Premium and I've not had any problems with uGuru. Are you using the most recent version (3.107?) Are you using it at the same time as any other monitoring apps? Some other apps report conflicts with uGuru.

c3k

Post by c3k » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:06 am

figment,

Interesting. I _believe_ it's version 3.107, but I don't see a version number anywhere on the program. I have that version saved, so I think it's what I have. I just tried it, no crash. Odd. Using "optimize" I got each fan lower voltage to read 6v, but even after "apply" for each fan, I could not get the voltage to read 6v in any other uGuru window. Going back to the fan setup window did show 6v. I don't know what value it saves. How do I get the 6v to stay and transfer to the BIOS? Let me know if you find out.

As for the fans, my goal is a large volume of air moving slowly to cool an overclock. My 2.4ghz cpu is loafing at 3.0 right now.

Current readings from uGuru: CPU 27C; SYS 30C; PWM 40C.
(Core Temp v0.97 shows the four cores at: 38C, 39C, 39C, 36C. This is measured from a Tjmax of 100C. The roughly 15C difference (okay, 11.25C from the average) between Core Temp and CPU temp from uGuru is a known discrepancy due to temperature measurement definitions.)
Rivatuner shows the GPU core at 50C.
It's around 18-20C in the room right now.

I had it at 3.2 (800mhz FSB) for a while, but I kept getting the nvlddmkm error. I believe it was due to overheating the MCH. The MCH was/is driving the 4 memory ports, each with 2Gb of memory. From what I've read that puts a lot of stress on the MCH. With the configuration of coolers, the MCH radiator is in a bit of a dead spot. It is nestled in between the HR-03 and Ultima 90 coolers, with no direct air flow.

Since I added the homebuilt bracket and fan, I have not had an nvlddmkm error. I'll see if that holds as I OC the cpu up to the 3.2 I had before. If that holds, I'll tweak the 8800gtx up to 8800ultra speeds (about a 10% overclock or so). Again, quiet is the goal, but since it's a gaming machine I know silence is not possible.

Power supply is a 600watt Seasonic M12. It has a 120mm fan. This website helped me choose it. It also as an auxiliary 60mm fan. The lower Noctua 120mm fan ensures positive cool air flow to it. The Antec P182 puts the hard-drives in the same bay as the PSU. The Noctua down there also ensures air flow around them (2 Seagate 7200.10 500Gb Sata drives).

I'm not satisfied with the fan speeds right now. According to uGuru they're all around 900-1000 rpm. (Note: uGuru just crashed. I tried to shut it down and recieved a Windows "application has stopped working" warning.) Anyway, the fan speeds seem a bit high, especially given the temperature margins I'm working with.

I'm trying to find the best BIOS fan profiles. Which temp probe, what voltages, what temps (low and high); Does SYS temp provide meaningful information?

I may switch all the fans over to PWM (except the CPU fan) monitoring, and reduce the voltage range to a very tight window, say 8v to 10v.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Ken

floepie

Post by floepie » Wed May 07, 2008 5:00 pm

HammerSandwich wrote:
- Both allow settings down to "30%", but I don't know how low that really runs. This was useful for quieting the system while running Memtest, but I've used Speedfan since installing Windows.
By "both", are you referring to the CPU and SYSFAN headers? Others in this thread say that all headers besides the CPU header can be regulated with changes in voltage. So, does one have a choice between voltage regulation or some sort of low-frequency PWM on this 3-pin SYSFAN header??

floepie

Post by floepie » Wed May 07, 2008 5:19 pm

Just a few questions before I build my rig with the IP35 Pro I have just sitting and waiting.

In order to achieve the lower limit of 6V on the Sys/Aux fans, is it necessary to 'optimize', or can the lower limit simply be entered as a value in uGuru?

Did anyone end up verifying whether the Optimize feature of uGuru works with the latest stable v16 BIOS?

I've asked this on other more "general" forums, but what is the advantage of running a PWM fan on the CPU header versus a normal 3-pin fan for the CPU cooler connected to the SYSFAN header? Is it simply a matter of a greater control range? (30%-100% vs. 6V-12V)

Thanks for any answers...

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri May 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Wibla, I know you've been waiting for an IP35-E report. Sorry for the delay! I've had some unrelated issues that have prompted reinstalls, etc. I will try diligently to get a report posted this weekend.

fjf

Post by fjf » Mon May 12, 2008 1:38 pm

Yep, you must optimize to get to 6V. Still with BIOS 14 here, no reason to change. Never tried a PWM fan, don't have one. Sorry!.
floepie wrote:Just a few questions before I build my rig with the IP35 Pro I have just sitting and waiting.

In order to achieve the lower limit of 6V on the Sys/Aux fans, is it necessary to 'optimize', or can the lower limit simply be entered as a value in uGuru?

Did anyone end up verifying whether the Optimize feature of uGuru works with the latest stable v16 BIOS?

I've asked this on other more "general" forums, but what is the advantage of running a PWM fan on the CPU header versus a normal 3-pin fan for the CPU cooler connected to the SYSFAN header? Is it simply a matter of a greater control range? (30%-100% vs. 6V-12V)

Thanks for any answers...

figment

Post by figment » Tue May 13, 2008 10:53 am

Sorry for the slow response... maybe this is still useful:
floepie wrote:In order to achieve the lower limit of 6V on the Sys/Aux fans, is it necessary to 'optimize', or can the lower limit simply be entered as a value in uGuru?
Yes, you need to do the "optimize" thing. The BIOS screen only allows selection down to 8V. The selection in BIOS is not user entered. It's value-select from 8V to 12V in 0.5V increments.
floepie wrote:Did anyone end up verifying whether the Optimize feature of uGuru works with the latest stable v16 BIOS?
I'm running the v16 BIOS and successfully used uGuru 3.107 to "optimize" the voltages down to 6V.
floepie wrote:I've asked this on other more "general" forums, but what is the advantage of running a PWM fan on the CPU header versus a normal 3-pin fan for the CPU cooler connected to the SYSFAN header? Is it simply a matter of a greater control range? (30%-100% vs. 6V-12V)
It's primarily the greater range. My PWM fan spins at a shocking 300rpm at startup before the CPU warms up. Of course, any halfway decent fan is silent at 300rpm. However, a good 1200rpm fan (Scythe, Nexus) is nearly silent when undervolted to 8V, too, so there is a question of how much it really matters. I went with the PWM fan partly out of a desire to experiment with them. In theory, the greater range would allow you to use a higher RPM fan or a higher static pressure (and noisier) fan and keep it running at the very lowest end unless it really needed to spin up into its upper range.

If you've got a quiet fan providing sufficient cooling already, there really isn't much that a PWM fan will do to improve the situation, except perhaps use a little less electricity (but honestly...)

Edit: spelling