asus P5K - how to disable cpu fan fail warning?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ame

asus P5K - how to disable cpu fan fail warning?

Post by ame » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:31 am

I've built a system for a freind with a Zalman 9500 CPU cooler, not realzing the fan is not PWM, so the Asus Q-fan can't control its speed when connected to CPU fan header.
I can only control it if i connect the fan to a case fan header, but then I get a CPU fan fail warning. How do I disable this warning in the Asus Bios?

krille

Post by krille » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:47 am

I think I had to disable "Halt On Errors" or whatever it was on my ASUS A8N-SLI Premium. I know I got it working, although maybe not in an ideal way.

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:09 am

My board (Gigabyte I think) has an option in the "hardware monitoring" section of the BIOS where I can set the CPU fan warning to various speeds; unfortunately, my akasa CPU fan uses a "volume control" knob on the rear panel, taking its power from the PSU, so the BIOS sees 0rpm!

[edit]Got confused with my old machine, this one's an Asus M2N-E![/edit]
Last edited by Emyr on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:11 am

What asus mobo is it? Most of the q-fan equipped mobo's can control non-pwm fans just fine. Plug the cpu fan into the cpu fan header and set fan control to DC instead of PWM.

ame

Post by ame » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:02 am

Wibla wrote:What asus mobo is it? Most of the q-fan equipped mobo's can control non-pwm fans just fine. Plug the cpu fan into the cpu fan header and set fan control to DC instead of PWM.
Its P5K. I dont see any option for DC control. setting Qfan to silent/optimal/preformance has no effect on this fan. :cry:

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:30 am

Back to the original question.
In the power section of the bios where it reads the rpm, voltages etc, hit the enter key on the selected value, and select "ignore" or something like that.
That should disable the warnings for low / no rpm.

ame

Post by ame » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:13 am

sjoukew wrote:Back to the original question.
In the power section of the bios where it reads the rpm, voltages etc, hit the enter key on the selected value, and select "ignore" or something like that.
Thanks it worked. :lol:
This is for my freind's gaming rig. (Solo+Q9450+HD4850)

I also did the same on my DAW rig (my sig). I now have the 120mm AC PWM fan @ 450 rpm when idle while ignoring the error for low fan speed, temps ar still very low 33-39 using core temp.

krille

Post by krille » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:18 am

sjoukew wrote:Back to the original question.
Ah! On second thought, that is actually what I did. Long time ago too. That's the one. Good job.