Change NB/SB heatsink on MINIX 780G?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jumjum

Change NB/SB heatsink on MINIX 780G?

Post by Jumjum » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:22 am

Hello, all!
Has anybody tried "upgrading" the puny combined NB/SB heatsink on the MINIX board? I am thinking along the lines of Nexus' NHP-2200, mostly because of the advertised level of mounting flexibility (and I am in a height constrained case).

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Re: Change NB/SB heatsink on MINIX 780G?

Post by JoeWPgh » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:01 am

Will the base cover both chips? It looks a little on the small side to me. At the same time, I'm not sure if there's room on the MB for the base in the other direction. A top down CPU fan will help the stock heatsink.

This is a great MB, but finding a case to handle silent cooling options is a bit of a challenge. I've resigned myself to building a case for mine.
Jumjum wrote:Hello, all!
Has anybody tried "upgrading" the puny combined NB/SB heatsink on the MINIX board? I am thinking along the lines of Nexus' NHP-2200, mostly because of the advertised level of mounting flexibility (and I am in a height constrained case).

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:52 pm

I didn't swap the heatsink, but i did replace the thermal paste. The stock one was absolute garbage. The NB was running hotter than the CPU, like 58C but the heatsink was perfectly cool to the touch. Upgraded with arctic silver 5, now it's faring much better, but the mounting system is really puny, the arctic silver is what's holding the heatsink by suction.