Sandy Bridge

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Greg F.

Sandy Bridge

Post by Greg F. » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:45 am

Here is a link to a short article that will give a simple explantion of Sandy Bridge. I get confused over what is included and when it will be released. Sandy Bridge sounds like an ideal solution for some of us.
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17669/1/

Am I correct in that Intel's 65w has been equivalent to AMD's 45w in terms of power consumption? At least to this point.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:08 pm

I still see plenty of conflicting information out there. The article you link to says CPU, graphics and memory controller will all be on the same chip. Most of other recent stuff out there says the graphics will only be on die, like the current i3, not on chip . . .

Unless Sandy Bridge brings a revolutionary jump in performance, like P4 --> C2D, the best part of its introduction will be that it makes Westmere stuff nice and cheap. Although it is always tempting to get the latest and greatest, the previous generation architecture on the newer manufacturing process tends to be the best value approach from Intel.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:48 pm

The whole purpose of Sandy Bridge is to move it all to a single die.

It appears unlikely that it is going to perform much better than the current generation, other than the energy utilization / power ratio.

There are conflicting reports... but it does seem almost certain that Sandy Bridge will use a new socket. Some refer to it as an 1155 socket. One source at least indicates that the new socket will be substantially different than the 1156.

Maybe the safest route is to stick to 775 sockets until it becomes clear what socket Sandy Bridge will be using.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Supposedly AMD's power consumption is supposed to improve a lot with 32nm, thanks to high-K, much better power gating, and some other features. Remains to be seen how good the process will actually be, though. AMD's performance per watt at 65nm and 45nm has been pretty disappointing compared to Intel's, so I'm not going to hold my breath for 32nm. But Llano still sounds very interesting. The onboard GPU should be pretty potent considering it will have 480 stream processors (for comparison, the HD4670 I use has 320). Should be adequate for mainstream gaming, what might cripple it is having to rely on relatively low bandwidth system memory (with Llano a bit of GDDR Sideport memory might actually become very useful, as opposed to current onboard GPUs where it seems to be more marketing gimmickry than anything else). And of course it could be used for GPGPU as well once more programs start to take advantage of that.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:47 pm

Maybe so, but will AMD be as late with 32nm and they were with 45nm?

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:15 pm

Yeah unfortunately I think they're still pretty far behind. IIRC 32nm parts are going to be available late 2010/early 2011.

croddie

Post by croddie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:37 pm

ces wrote:It appears unlikely that it is going to perform much better than the current generation, other than the energy utilization / power ratio.
The graphics should perform much better, since they are being shrunk to 32nm.