D510MO Power useage

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

washu

D510MO Power useage

Post by washu » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:13 pm

Hey All

I recently picked up an Intel D510MO Atom board along with a PicoPSU-80. I'm running it with a single 2 GB DIMM and a 60 GB 2.5 HD. I've seen several posts that the power usage with a good PSU can be in the 15-16 watt range at idle. Right now I'm seeing an idle usage of 24 W. I know that is picky, but it seems high to me. At first I thought it might be my OS (FreeBSD), but Windows and Linux are the same. Even running off a USB stick with the HD disconnected only dropped it by 1 W. I've tried it with two different power bricks that are supposed to be 80% efficient at minimum with no change. Even a 90% brick would only drop it to 22 W if my math is right.

Is there some power saving setting I am missing or is this actually normal for this board and PSU?

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:44 pm

I'm using a 60W brick w/PicoPSU. I'm one of the 15W people. Have you disabled everything in BIOS (serial & parallel ports, audio, etc.)? I don't know how much those things add. I'm using slow-ish PC2 5300 ram, though I doubt your added 9W would be from faster memory.

I'm running ubuntu, but OS shouldn't matter since the Atom doesn't downclock at idle.

What are you measuring your power consumption with? My Kill-a-watt reads 15W. My UPS has a LCD display - it reads higher them the Kill-a-watt. I trust my kill-a-watt - I've "tested" it against some incandescent and compact-fluorescent lamps and it's been +/- 1W.

washu

Post by washu » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:01 am

Both power bricks I tried are 60W. One came with the PicoPSU and one came with the case (Morex 2788).

Memory is DDR2 800. I'll try a 667 DIMM, but you are probably right that wont change much.

Everything unneeded is disabled in the BIOS and it is the latest from Intel's website.

I'm using a UPM EM100 Kill-a-watt knockoff. It could be the problem, but it is bang on for known loads like light bulbs, even ones in that low power range.

Greg F.

Post by Greg F. » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:18 am

Intel 510
PICO 80 or 120, don't remember.
2 sticks of DDR2 800
120G IDE OS & app drive
Samsung 500G Ecodrive SATA
USB Saitek lit keyboard
Logitech Marble trackball USB
M-Audio Transit USB

26 watts idle, so I would say your numbers are high.
Unit sets on floor at side of desk, has no fans at all, and for all intents and purposes is completely silent. I really like it. It seems fast enough for what I do. I don't like the fact it has no DVI.

tuomaspt

Post by tuomaspt » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:24 am

Intel specifies the board power draw to be 20.844W 12V DC with a small setup (4GB ram, 1GB network on, keyboard, mouse) booted to DOS without a HD. I've wondered a bit how some people could get it as low as 15W (AC!) even if a Linux OS runs a better idler and everything unnecessary is disabled in bios. With 85% efficient power supply that would mean idle power draw of 12.8W. I guess there may be sample variations.

( 24 +- 1 ) W measured AC draw with a 80% efficient PSU would yield ( 19.2 +- 0.8 ) W DC power consumption, which would be more in line with Intel's numbers.

Personally I got a D945GSEJT instead precisely because with my luck a D510 would have definitely been nothing near 15W.