UK FS: Cubit P3 Mini ITX system

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

malfunction

UK FS: Cubit P3 Mini ITX system

Post by malfunction » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:51 am

Time for me to sell this on... Have bought too many PC bits recently and whilst this is a lovely little box that I'd sooner keep I need to claw some cash back.

Specs:

1.2GHz Tualatin P3 CPU (256K L2, 133Mhz FSB) passively cooled by a swiftech MCX370 heatsink
1 x 512MB PC133
Intel i815 chipset with onboard VGA (as well as sound, LAN, USB and firewire - Freetech P6F135 - only has 1 x PCI slot, no AGP and deffo no PCI-E!)
PCI WLAN card and larger uprated antenna (B and G, RALink 2500 based)
120W Pico PSU (DC to DC) + 102W External brick (AC to DC)
Dual layer slot load DVDRW (Panasonic UJ-845)
200GB PATA Seagate Baracuda 7200.7 (in warranty until 25th Nov 2009)

All wrapped up in a Cubit 3 case.

Cooling is via a single 80mm fan on the rear. I've placed the fan on the outside of the case as it gives a bit more room in the case which allows better cable routing and better cooling - I've also mounted the fan as an intake rather than an exhaust as I found this to be far more effective (as an exhaust the temps were much higher even with a fan on the CPU heatsink). The 80mm fan is not silent but it is *very* quiet (the system sits on a glass shelf about 2 feet away from my head so you may find it quieter in your environment).

The AC/DC brick also has an internal fan which I have never seen spin up - even under full CPU load (several hours of Prime 95 when I first built the system).

Other than initial stability testing the system has had very light use since I built it - all it's really done is act as my print and music server. This system has no problem playing DVDs, DivX, XviD or anything else you care to throw at it (but not HD content).

Disadvantages:

Because it's based around an older (but faster than the VIA C3 alternative IMO) platform it doesn't have USB 2.0 (USB 1.1 only).

The onboard GFX does not have TV out and the drivers have limited resolution support (1280 x 1024 max in Win 2k unless you want to do some hacking around). Both of these are easily fixed via a PCI based GFX card which would also add DVI out and increase performance. The highest performing PCI GFX cards I'm aware of are GF 5200 / 6200s.

Pics:

Case:

Note that my camera refuses to accurately capture the colour of the case - these pictures were taken at night so I'll try and get a better one later - the official colour is "green mist" and a better colour match can be seen here (though that still isn't 100% accurate - it's a warmer shade in the flesh - I guess it's just bloody hard to photo!).

(note small paint chip on rear below PSU socket)

DVDRW:

Mobo + CPU + RAM:

Pico PSU:

(no pics of the AC/DC brick - can get one if you really want)

Preference given to anyone wanting to buy the system as a whole but if I don't get enough interest I will split as follows:

CPU + Heatsink + Mobo + RAM:
[INDENT]£50 inc[/INDENT]

Pico DC/DC PSU + AC/DC brick:
[INDENT]£50 inc[/INDENT]

Slot load DVDRW + IDE adapter:
[INDENT]£35 inc[/INDENT]

Cubit P3 case (includes front IO ports bits, all mounting plates, 80mm fan, etc)
[INDENT]£40 *excluding* delivery[/INDENT]

Or for £200 get all of the above + WLAN card + 200GB HDD (if splitting I will keep the HDD and WLAN card)

Would prefer collection (or can deliver) for the case / full system. The case is *heavy* despite being aluminium (it's a good 5mm thick) so I don't want it to get damaged in transit. I'm in Wokingham, Berkshire near Reading / Bracknell.

I have good feedback on trust.hexus.net (as malfunction) and ebay (as malfunction!)

DVD-RW sold (without the IDE adaptor) for £30 inc
Last edited by malfunction on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nightmorph

Post by nightmorph » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:19 pm

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malfunction

Post by malfunction » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:27 pm

nightmorph wrote:Ooh, looks nice. But I'm in the USA, and would have no use for the HDD (have my own), and I don't know that your AC/DC brick would work for US electrical setups. This'd be a perfect tiny home server. Ooh, I want. But...we're oceans apart, you and I. :(

Too bad -- otherwise I'd have snatched this one up, never mind the age and (still slightly) pricey-ness of the hardware. Even that weird shade of green is okay, since the case shape itself is, of course, sexy!
Unfortunately it would be fairly cheap to send everything but the case... The exchange rate really isn't kind at the moment either! I like the colour of the case to be honest (but hey, I would - I chose it)

malfunction

Post by malfunction » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:37 am

DVD-RW sold (without the IDE adaptor) for £30 inc

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:07 am

i dont have the cash for it, though i really wish i did. I just wanted to chime in.

I believe Cubit doesnt make these cases anymore, and went out of buisness. They are quite popular and very rare to come by now a days. Its a very high quality enclosure. IMO, one of the best mini-itx enclosures ever created. I guess the "company" that made them was just some guy doing it on the side, and ran out of time/money to produce them in huge quantities. A very rare find to see someone selling one.

The enclosure itself is probably worth around $200 easy. Its a solid piece of thick machined aluminum. Very high quality stuff.

peerke

Post by peerke » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:07 pm

Aris wrote:I believe Cubit doesnt make these cases anymore, and went out of buisness. They are quite popular and very rare to come by now a days. Its a very high quality enclosure. IMO, one of the best mini-itx enclosures ever created. I guess the "company" that made them was just some guy doing it on the side, and ran out of time/money to produce them in huge quantities. A very rare find to see someone selling one.

The enclosure itself is probably worth around $200 easy. Its a solid piece of thick machined aluminum. Very high quality stuff.
As far as I can see on their website http://www.hoojum.com/new/html/more_c3.htm they are not out of business. So you can still buy the case new.

malfunction

Post by malfunction » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:20 pm

peerke wrote:
Aris wrote:I believe Cubit doesnt make these cases anymore, and went out of buisness. They are quite popular and very rare to come by now a days. Its a very high quality enclosure. IMO, one of the best mini-itx enclosures ever created. I guess the "company" that made them was just some guy doing it on the side, and ran out of time/money to produce them in huge quantities. A very rare find to see someone selling one.

As far as I can see on their website http://www.hoojum.com/new/html/more_c3.htm they are not out of business. So you can still buy the case new.
I've heard from 2 suppliers that they are no longer making the case though they are quite easily available at the moment in the UK

Kanadian

Still for sale

Post by Kanadian » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:54 am

Hello,
I was wondering if you still have the Cubit 3 case for sale?
Many thanks.

leem

Post by leem » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:00 pm

If you have no luck, I have a Cubit 3 for sale on eBay in Australia, along with a Lex 120W silent power supply. See: this thread