WTB: silent/quiet nvidia 9800gt(x), gts 250/9600gt etc.

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rivet

WTB: silent/quiet nvidia 9800gt(x), gts 250/9600gt etc.

Post by rivet » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:35 pm

I am looking for a silent or near silent nvidia card in Canada, prefer Gigabyte 9800gt silent cell, but can also consider a card with Acceloro S1 or similar quiet aftermarket cooler on it. Can also consider 9600gt or sth. better like 9800gtx(+).

PM me if you happened to have one.
Last edited by rivet on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:17 pm

stock eVGA Geforce GTS 250 are quiet, and you can also switch the cooler for that Accelero S1.

a GTS 250 will be less expensive for you to buy than a 9800GTX+ only because of rarity, since the GTS 250 is still in production.

i do have an unused eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512mb here (the older model with the big metal piece cooler on it with fire-design, blowing air toward the back of the case) which have a lifetime warranty. I was able to play Grid with full details (without V-sunc and anti-aliasing though) in 1280x1024 (full resolution) on this computer.

rivet

Post by rivet » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks very much. I would definitely prefer GTS 250 (especially the 1g version) over 9800gtx, both of them are still quite expensive though. The evga model is $135 on newegg, not including shipping and tax, I could almost get a 5770 for that. Also, I can't find Accelero S1 sold at anywhere.

I don't know the history of different version of evga 9600gt, is the card quiet, does blowing air back to case affects the cooling of the whole computer? If you are interested in selling it, let me know a bit more detail via PM, although I am more interested in GTS 250 though.

RaptorZX3 wrote:stock eVGA Geforce GTS 250 are quiet, and you can also switch the cooler for that Accelero S1.

a GTS 250 will be less expensive for you to buy than a 9800GTX+ only because of rarity, since the GTS 250 is still in production.

i do have an unused eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512mb here (the older model with the big metal piece cooler on it with fire-design, blowing air toward the back of the case) which have a lifetime warranty. I was able to play Grid with full details (without V-sunc and anti-aliasing though) in 1280x1024 (full resolution) on this computer.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:11 pm

well i think the fan direction could affect the overall case temp. if you have a front intake fan, i think a stock video card fan blowing air in the direction of this intake fan would probably not help with the video card temperature. I'm saying this because i really don't know how it would react, but i'm saying this would happen theorically.

So having a stock fan that blow air going at the back of the case would be better for its cooling.

But now eVGA make smaller GF9600GT which could fit in a small HTPC now i think, and require less power than the one i have here. But the one i own have a lifetime warranty.

the one i have look like this:

since i don't have a big enough anti-static bag to put it in, i would most likely have to ship the whole thing to you in a big carton box, which would cost much more for shipping...