Which PSU to buy in Norway?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ting

Which PSU to buy in Norway?

Post by ting » Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:32 am

I have been waiting for the seasonic rev. 3. But now it seems as if it won't come to Norway. So I need youre help in selecting a PSU for my system.
Here is a list of the psus that are available:

fanless alternatives:

Silverstone POWER ATX 300W
SST-ST30 NF
http://www.mamoz.no/mamozv3/default.asp ... ePrisguide
1313,- (193US$)

* Read to reviews(spcr and hardwaretest.dk) Both as i understand it conclude that it delivers as promised.

Tagan Etasis 300W ATX
Active PFC, 2x SATA, Peak 433W, 0bA - EFN-300 ()
http://www.mamoz.no/produkt/EFN-300/Tag ... 8mfor.html
1441,- (212)

Etasis 300W ATX
Active PFC, 2x SATA, Peak 433W, 0bA
http://www.mpx.no/aspx/prdinfo.aspx?plid=34360
1478,- (217)

* These two appear to be the same, also they have fins sticking out the back. Would these keep the cabinet temps lower than the silverstone?

Silentmaxx proSilence strømforsyning PS-350W
350W, ATX,
http://www.mamoz.no/produkt/SLC11019/Si ... 8mfor.html
1830,- (269)

* Is this better than the silverstone?

Termaltake Purepower Fanless ATX 350W (0db)
kr 1.295,- (190)

* Looks good, but it's Termaltake:)

:?

I have also considered faned designs, howewer i would prefer a 120mm faned psu, and the ones that are available here don't seem to live up to expectations.

My case is ventet by 2 120 mm papst fans, so i think the general airflow of the case is quite good. My 380s(side vent holes are blocked) is running below 1600rpm durinng browsing etc.(noisest component)

****** Faned PSU brands available: Emermax, Tagan, Chieftec, Antec, Zalman, Fortron source and derivatives(Northq, Chill and Mist) and the Seasonic ss-300Ft 300W

sorenbro

Post by sorenbro » Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:38 am

The Enermax Noisetaker 370W is worth considering. You can order it from Germany for around 500DKK and shipping is not very expensive. MikeC gave it an 8 in noise, so it must be pretty good.
http://www.fortknox.de just search for noisetaker and it will come up with 3 units from the series.

ting

Post by ting » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:12 am

It is available here for 750, but i have concerns about a unit that uses 2 fans. Also, its not a 120 mm fan unit. If i remember the fysics correct, the the frequency will be more at the same cfm. Also if one of the fanless psu's work, then there would be a more prediktable airflow direction i should think?

sorenbro

Post by sorenbro » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:38 am

If money is not a concern then I would buy a fanless PSU too. It seems that you have pretty good airflow in your case, so getting a PSU with a 120mm fan is not crucial.
Remember that MikeC has reviewed alot of PSU's so he does know waht he is talking about, and the Noisetaker scored higher than ALOT of the PSU's that use 120mm fans. A 120mm fan is not per defintion quieter than 1x80mm and 1x92mm fan.

How many volts do you supply to your fans?

ting

Post by ting » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:57 am

The inside case fan is set by a fanmate to something betwen 5 an 6 volts. The back case fan is varied by spedfan down to about 6-7 volts.
the 700alcu fan is running between 4 and 6 volts. Using speedfan the cpu and back case fan are able to cool the system using the variable speed function. I can reduse the voltage even more on the back case fan, however that would result in the 380s ramping up.

As for the dual fan configuration, it would be nice to have a system with only 120mm fans:)

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:16 am

Well I'm really pleased with my Nexus 4090, it's got a 120mm fan on the bottom and is realyl quiet. Just doe't espect it to get out all the rest of the heat from the system. IMO it's about as loud/quiet as a papst 44142FGL @ 5-6V, the loudest noise from it is a very soft whirrr and airflow turbulence.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:13 am

Since the rest of your system is so quiet, any (unmodified) fanned PSU will add audible noise. So if the price is no objection, buy the Silverstone. MikeC thinks its OK and only the ThermalTake is cheaper.

ting

Post by ting » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:24 am

One thing, after doing some research the silverstone and etasis are identical, except for the fins sticking out the back of the etasis. Could this concivably increase the hot air movement out of the psu and case?
Im baffled as to why silverstone does not use these finns. Anybody have any ideas?

http://www.mamoz.no/bilder/250/175/%2Fm ... /bilde.jpg

http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/ima ... nf/psu.jpg

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:33 am

The PSU with the fins sticking out of the back is officially not ATX compliant because of its size. You and I probably don't care about that, as long as we can fit it in our cases.

I think either Silverstone has a case where the fins won't fit or the marketing department thought the ATX compliant label more important than better cooling.

ting

Post by ting » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:36 am

Thanks. Ill get the one that cools better!

Thanks for the help everybody! :D

ting

Initiall experiences whit Etasis Fanless

Post by ting » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:17 am

I bought the Etasis and my preliminary impressions are these:
Havent tested it over as many hours as i'd like to since my instalation gave me some errors.
The errors are related to the sata cables and the samsung HD, and not the Psu mind you.

Power: No broblems with my below set up.

Noise: I really can't hear it, however i havent had enough time to listen that carefuly.
All i can hear at this moment is the ocasional activity from the hard drive, which I feel is comforting.

Heat: The fall has come to Norway so my ambient temps are probably 21c or something.
Touching the psu heatsink, its hardly warm at all.
Current temps are:
CPU 39
Motherboard sensor, not shure were it is : 37
Raptor SMART: 37
Temperature probe lodged between the Heatsinks on the bottom of the PSU: 34

RPM:
cpu: about 1200-1300
case front: 493
case back: 680
Its very quiet

Increasing the case fans rpm up about 1 or 2 volts (to about 7 or 8), keeps the temperature at these levels during 3dmark etc. Havent had time to check any more.

Its now a quiet system.

I just thought i'd report my initial impressions before i forget it :?
And i am extreemely pleased so far :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D 8)

Thorz

Post by Thorz » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:12 am

am looking also for a PSU here in Norway. I have seen that Microplex has this MIST that has got good reviews on hardware.no forums:

http://www.microplex.no/rubweb/php/rd.p ... 2&toc=5037

Do you think ti will do the job? I have a P4 3Ghz, 3 CDRW/DVD/DVDRW drives, a Diamondmax 10 SATA, Asus P4C800E-Dlx and I think that my new case will have 2 120mm fans.

Thanks for the help.

ChristianN

Post by ChristianN » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:56 pm

In spite of other people, I'm very happy with my 480w Tagan psu in what I consider a fairly quiet PC.

As for the hw.no tests... well, they think the NorthQ psus are really quiet which is far from true. Apart from that the mist unit is probably a decent unit.

A friend of mine has it on order, should turn up in a few days. Microplex wont give a dB rating, however it should be quite nice.

Thorz

Post by Thorz » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:49 am

ChristianN wrote:In spite of other people, I'm very happy with my 480w Tagan psu in what I consider a fairly quiet PC.

As for the hw.no tests... well, they think the NorthQ psus are really quiet which is far from true. Apart from that the mist unit is probably a decent unit.

A friend of mine has it on order, should turn up in a few days. Microplex wont give a dB rating, however it should be quite nice.
I have asked Microplex for the dB rating, when i get it I will post it. It would be nice to know how that Mist of your friend performs. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

Krestjan

Post by Krestjan » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:31 pm

Hi everyone, new guy here! Been silently browsing the forums for quite a while, and felt that my experiences with this PSU might come in handy.

In short, the MIST 500W is quiet. And I mean really, really quiet!

I bought the MIST as an online store that should remain un-named couldn't quite manage to send a Seasonic SS-400 to me, but I don't regret getting the MIST one bit.

My system isn't very power-hungry so I haven't really tested the PSU to its limits yet, but the fan inside is very, very quiet even when venting 40C+ air out of my Silverstone LC-03 case. I use the MIST as the only way of venting hot air out of the case, so it can get pretty hot in there, but as yet it has proved to be a very good performer when it comes to silence. There is no apparent ramp-up or anything like that, but a very gentle woosh of air at most.

I like it!!

ChristianN

Post by ChristianN » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:47 am

I briefly saw the new Mist in action yesterday and it seemed nice and quiet.

The pabst fan is capable of moving some air so potential dB numbers are most likely going to be somewhat high but more so realistic.