Is my 300w power supply running out of juice?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

james22

Is my 300w power supply running out of juice?

Post by james22 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:31 pm

I just bought a new hard drive (Maxtor Diamondmax 10, 300gb) and my system refuses to power-up with the new drive installed. I have a Seasonic Super Tornado 300w, and my system is as follows:

Asus P4P800-VM
Intel P4-2.4B / Zalman 7000
1 x 512mb RAM
Radeon 9550 (fanless, no power connector)
Samsung 160gb SATA (1614C)
Plextor CD-RW
Lynx L22 PCI sound card
Hauppauge PCI PVR-250
Two low-speed 80mm case fans

It powers up fine when I disconnect one either one of the drives - the Maxtor, Samsung or CD-RW. There is nothing wrong with the Maxtor drive - I am using it now without my old drive. With everything plugged in, the PC comes alive for half a second (fans begin to spin) and then shuts down.

Once everything is booted up though, it runs stably with no issues....

NeilBlanchard

Is the Maxtor SATA?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:46 pm

Hello James:

Is the Maxtor SATA? When both drives are installed, which one is designated as the boot drive? Do both show up in the BIOS? What about setting a delay on the HD start in the BIOS? Also, maybe try them on different "legs" of the wiring harness?

[/random thoughts]

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:22 pm

I doubt it. See my sig - I'm running more than you are and have not even had a hint of a power problem.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:29 pm

Still sounds like a power problem to me. MB is not liking 1 voltage rail maybe. Any beep codes?

EDIT : Despite what pauli wrote. No idea why it could be but it sounds like it.

james22

Post by james22 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:50 pm

The Maxtor is designated the boot drive, and I see both in BIOS. Both drives can run together with no problem if I disconnect the CD-RW. I'm going to check right now if I can set a delayed spin-up.... is there any point in changing to different wire harnesses if they're all powered from the same 5/12V rail?

EDIT: Yes, the Maxtor is a SATA.

James

NeilBlanchard

Apparently, the Maxtor is power hungry

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:47 am

Hello James:

There is another active thread that someone mentions that this Maxtor does use a lot more power than previous models. It is also possible that your PS *unit* might be a little out of spec...

I have used two hard drives with a 200watt PS, in an Athlon Classic 600 system, 2 optical drives and a Zip drive, and a full compliment of PCI cards including an IDE controller, NIC, modem, sound card, and for a while a PCI video card.