How can I replace the 120mm fan in a Fortron FSP-350?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

mshan

How can I replace the 120mm fan in a Fortron FSP-350?

Post by mshan » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:08 am

Does the fan connector in this power supply use the standard 3 pin header and is it easily detachable from it's PCB?

Also, anyone know if a Globe 120 mm fan would fit inside the casing correctly?

And will the power supply function if nothing is connected to the pcb's fan header? (I would use an externally mounted knob to control fan speed)?

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:13 am

No, the fan is soldered to a fan controller. You have to snip the wires, or remove the fan controller and solder them off.

Here's a pic of the innards (taken from the SPCR's FSP Aurora review). The fan controller is the greenish square PCB visible in the PSU.

The wires from the fan controller are long enough to do a fan swap (see the pic, they are wound around the bundle of wires that leave the PSU). IMO any normal (25 mm thick) fan will fit there.

I didn't test whether the PSU would function without any fan connected to the controller.

Here's a recent discussion about FSP-350 fan swapping.

Cheers,

Jan

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:32 am

Hi guys

The FSP300-60PN(PF) worked okay without a fan connected to the fan controller PCB. So I'm 99,9% sure, that the 350W version works that way too. I don't know if any PSU has some sort of current sensing on the PSU fan, that would shutdown the PSU if the fan was failing.

If you got any questions, just ask.