SilverStone Fanless PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Reyn

SilverStone Fanless PSU

Post by Reyn » Wed May 11, 2005 11:15 pm

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-30nf.htm

Let's check out this PSU.

Thoughts?

According to the review from this website, this PSU seems to be most stable and quiet fanless PSU there is. Though it's only 300w.

salmon

Post by salmon » Thu May 12, 2005 12:59 am

I've used one of these for about 2 months now, and I must say that I'm really pleased with it.
It is dead silent. I can't hear it even if my ear touches the surface. I've not had any stability issues with the PSU.

About the wattage: My system (see sig) draws maximum 100W AC, and normally 60-80W (currently w/o Cool'n'Quiet). Hopefully I'll never buy another pc that uses more power than that.
Of course systems and power draw varies a lot, but for a quiet system, I have serious problems imagining a silent combination of components that draws more than 300W DC.

Also, according to the review, the surface temperature of the PSU gets very high at near maximum output. I suspect this will shorten its lifetime, even if it works perfectly. If I were to build such a system, I'd probably go for a PSU with active cooling.
At my power levels, the surface temperature maxes out at about 15°C above ambient, which means it is great for warming up cold fingers. :)

If you search the forums, you'll also find several other threads about this PSU.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Thu May 12, 2005 10:38 pm

Reyn

Post by Reyn » Thu May 12, 2005 10:47 pm

Devonavar wrote:Been there, done that.
read it b4 I made this thread, I don't buy these review. simply look @ phantom

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Thu May 12, 2005 11:10 pm

Oh my, I think I should go to bed before my reading comprehension sinks any further. I see that you pointed that out in your first post. Sorry for the abrupt post.

Could you clarify the purpose of your post? There's already several forum threads about this PSU, I'd prefer if you kept discussion about it localised to these threads.