Using a Power supply Fanless

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Using a Power supply Fanless

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Mon May 01, 2006 8:23 am

Hey Im gonna be setting up a file server from a friends old PC and i was just wondering how likely i would be able to get away with running a power supply fanless and if you had any ideas on a good PSU for this (im talking cheep here the computer is only costing me £40)

The system specs are

Motherboard: Gigabyte G7DXR
Processor: Athlon XP (Palamino) 1500+ (probebly be undervolted)
RAM: 2x 256 (DDR 2100-2700)
HD: 60GB, 250GB, 200GB
Graphics: Verry old 16mb card i think (no idea what its called)

GHz

Post by GHz » Mon May 01, 2006 9:52 am

I don't think you're going to find any cheap power supplies that will cool work fanlessly with that system. The Palomino chips were both power hungry and hot... not good candidates for passive (on-the-cheap) operation. Your best bet is to find a decent used power supply and just do a fan swap.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:58 pm

I ran my main PC for a while with the fan removed from the psu. In short I set up my case ventilation with 'positive pressure' - a nice slow 120mm fan on the lower front as an intake, and the psu as the main exit (i.e. most others taped up). I was using a cheapo psu (OEM Allied/Deer) that cost about £10 new and was really pleased with the results with an XP2100 doing XP2700 impressions. I am sure there are posts of mine about this config about 3 years ago if you care to search!

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue May 02, 2006 6:15 am

Is the CPU going to be cooled passively as well? If not, then I don't see the point in a fanless PSU... the CPU fan will drown out a PSU with a quiet or silent fan, plus it's a much cheaper and less risky alternative.

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Tue May 02, 2006 9:04 am

dukla2000 wrote:I ran my main PC for a while with the fan removed from the psu. In short I set up my case ventilation with 'positive pressure' - a nice slow 120mm fan on the lower front as an intake, and the psu as the main exit (i.e. most others taped up). I was using a cheapo psu (OEM Allied/Deer) that cost about £10 new and was really pleased with the results with an XP2100 doing XP2700 impressions. I am sure there are posts of mine about this config about 3 years ago if you care to search!
Ok cool thanx well im getting a PSU with it so ill try it with that.
Amourek wrote:Is the CPU going to be cooled passively as well? If not, then I don't see the point in a fanless PSU... the CPU fan will drown out a PSU with a quiet or silent fan, plus it's a much cheaper and less risky alternative.
Yeh i see what you are saying but im gonna probebly be useing a nexus at 5v and i only have one spare so i would have to buy a new fan i just wanted to see if i could unplug the fans seeing as its gonna be at quite a low load.[/quote]