What's Up With the PSU Noise?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

hawkeye1
Patron of SPCR

What's Up With the PSU Noise?

Post by hawkeye1 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:04 am

All,

I seem to get a continuous low-level whine that's not too noticable, but when I select certain folders in Power Desk or certain windows (if I have multiple ones open) in Internet Explorer, I'll suddenly get a totally annoying high-pitched whine. If I change to a different folder/window, the whine goes away. I've got three hard drives in my system, and it happens on each on them, so no rhyme or reason as to when it will happen. I'm currently using a SilenX 400 in my system, but to be fair the whine happened with my old PSU as well. So, is this something that happens to others, and is there anything I can do to circumvent this annoying problem?

Thanks/hawkeye1

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:29 am

Hi Hawkeye. I've had a similar experience using SilenX PSUs. Specifically, of the two SilenX PSUs that I ordered, one continuously whines whereas the other recently developed an intermittant whine, similar in nature to the whine that you described (the whine is getting worse with time though). I e-mailed Peter Kim (of SilenX.com) about this and he indicated that the whine is somehow due to the active PFC circuitry in the PSU. As both PSUs whine, and are thus far from silent, I have decided to return them and try the 350W Fortron PSU w/120mm fan (does not have active PFC). Take care.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:13 am

LushMD wrote:...of the two SilenX PSUs that I ordered, one continuously whines whereas the other recently developed an intermittant whine, ...the whine is getting worse with time though). I e-mailed Peter Kim (of SilenX.com) about this and he indicated that the whine is somehow due to the active PFC circuitry in the PSU...
Similar experience here too. I've noticed the SilenX PSU's will often develop the dreaded whining sound after a few days of use. I'm wondering if using ferrite cores will help, but I'm unsure how to try this at this point (details of how, etc). I didn't know about the cause of the whine being somehow linked to APFC though, that's interesting...

8)

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:15 pm

Siunds like the whine I am getting from my Sonata 380s PUS after continual use for 2 months now.

I have a silenx 400w on the way and will be running it 24x7 for a week when I get it. I will provide feedback.

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:21 pm

I had the whine from my Fortron 120mm, except that it was variable in pitch, sort of like a police siren. Probably most people would not hear it, but I can hear fairly high pitched noises (I can hear my robot's ultrasonic ranger)

hawkeye1
Patron of SPCR

Post by hawkeye1 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:24 am

Interesting responses, particularly hearing that others are having the same problems as I am. I'm uncertain what to do now as within the next week or two I'll be building a pretty awesome computer system (well, in my opinion at least!), and the SilenX was going to be a centerpiece of it. But, even as I type, low-level whine is present, and that's not good in my quest for the ultimate quiet/fast system.

Help me all, I'm open for suggestions. Fortron as suggested by LushMD, another PSU suggestion, or some easy altercations to the SilenX (and I do mean easy!)?

Thanks again,

hawkeye1