Compatible power supply for Av8?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Lucifiel

Compatible power supply for Av8?

Post by Lucifiel » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm

Yeah, my pc system's getting kind of old but as of late, my focus has drifted heavily from gaming to music and other activities.

Just a few days ago, my psu(an Antec Truepower 2.0) seems to have died on me. I'm crossing my fingers in hope it didn't take down any other parts of my system.

So, would a Verudium Power XT be all right enough for a gig like this?

I'd buy Seasonic but the only shop where that brand is sold, in my country, is like 5 hours drive to and fro. Plus, it's by appointment-only. =/

These are my specs:
Athlon A64 3000+
Abit AV8
PowerColor 9600 Pro
Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 1GB(2 sticks: 512 mb each)
WD SATA 80 GB + WD IDE 160 GB
Benq 1620 Pro + LG DVD-Rom
Lian-li PC-7B
Audigy 2 Value

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:34 am

Hello,

You can easily use a 300watt PSU for that system. I would get something to test it, to be sure that the motherboard was not affected.

I've never heard of a Verudium Power XT -- can you post a link?

SD-Plissken

Post by SD-Plissken » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:35 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

You can easily use a 300watt PSU for that system. I would get something to test it, to be sure that the motherboard was not affected.

I've never heard of a Verudium Power XT -- can you post a link?
This is what i found on the power unit in question. http://www.verudium.com/powerxt.php

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:46 am

Lucifiel wrote:So, would a Verudium Power XT be all right enough for a gig like this?
Yea it would work, if it's the best you can find. What other options do you have?

I don't know what specific model you're going get but either the 430W or the 480W will work. I don't really trust that company though. The PSU is measured in its "peak" power. Continuous power is what's important and will be much lower. Its efficiency is only 72%, and is likely less. Just putting the information out there. I don't know how important it is, but is good to know.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:52 am

Hello,

It appears to have Active PFC (no voltage switch), but the 72% efficiency is not so great. Having the transformer mounted on the exhaust grill is a little odd?

Why did they call it a 430 unit if it is 400watt maximum? The 480watt unit seems to be able to hold the maximum output for 12 milliseconds? :shock: That is not very reassuring...

Lucifiel

Post by Lucifiel » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:15 pm

To NeilBlanchard: Oh, don't worry, I'm going to a hardware repair shop so they can test the parts. I just don't have the expertise nor parts to engage in some "trial and error" test to see which parts were broken. :p

300 Watts is more than enough, eh? Lol... looks like 480 W is overkill, then.

Oh well, I'll be going in about 1 hours' time(from this post). :) Yeah, I don't have much of a choice as this is the only day I can get some time off, to have a hardware check and so on.

Okay and the technical information you mentioned in the second post, doesn't sound too reassuring even though I don't 100% comprehend it.

How odd that when I went to Abit somewhere last year, they told me that Truepower 1.0 wasn't compatible with Av8. And to either get Verudium or Enermax. But they strongly recommended Verudium, which seems to be highly used by plenty of overclockers and such in Singapore.

SD-Plissken: Thanks for helping out. :)

To angelkiller: Hmmm, 72% of its' power, eh? Oh dear, doesn't sound good.

Hmm... I have Seventeam, Enermax Noisemaker AX series(some old models from 2005) and other Enermax units like Liberty, Infinity which provide more power than I'll ever need, 1 Tagan 480W model, some Zalman models , 1 OCZ, a couple of Silverstone models and a lot of really crappy PSU models like I-Cute, etc.

I'm staying away from Antec for now since I've a feeling there might be more compability issues with other Antec models(no, I'm not going to live through this again). Just a thought, though: could a tropical weather and lots of humidity kill off a PSU?

Perhaps I'll go for either Enermax or Verudium, then. Will depend on availability. Even if it's an old Enermax model, that ought to be okay and better than some new but problematic model.

Lucifiel

Post by Lucifiel » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:24 am

In the end, I ended up with a Seventeam PSU: ST-520PAF. Don't worry, I'm in Singapore so I doubt it'll have the same problems like in the US.

Edit: Oh and thank you, everybody, for your help. :) Even though I never went for Verudium, at least I learnt a bit more about PSUs. :) For someone like me who has problems understanding technical data at times, your explanations were really good. :D

Keep up the good work! :D

SD-Plissken

Post by SD-Plissken » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:48 am

Here's the specs on the power unit. claims it has 80% efficiency

http://www.seventeam.com.tw/front/detai ... eng&ID=118

data sheet on same page.

Seems like a decant unit. seventeam has been known to make some of the other brand power units.

Personally i never used them or any of their off brands at least not to my knowledge. so i can't speak for their quality.

Lucifiel

Post by Lucifiel » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:20 am

Right, the PSU better last!! :D

Btw, this is kinda off-topic but aren't you also one of the mods from the Ubuntu forums? Fancy meeting you here... lol. I didn't know until I saw a sticky by you somewhere in those forums. :p