How to install a PSU in a case with no mounting points?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

tbessie

How to install a PSU in a case with no mounting points?

Post by tbessie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:30 am

I got a lovely OrigenAE S14V case, and will be building it this weekend.

The thing is, I need to get a power supply for it, and where the power supply goes, there are no holes, brackets, etc.

I'm a bit new to this, so I'm wondering, in a situation like this, what one usually does. Am I going to need to drill holes in the case?

- Tim

Dutchmm

This photo suggests there are ...

Post by Dutchmm » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:46 am

Tim

I was curious what a $400 case looked like, so I went to the OrigenAE site, and found this photo of the back. It looks to me as though you put the screws through the four screw holes closest to the PSU cutout. They do supply screws, for that amount of money, I take it?

Regarding the finish of the surfaces, in your other post, yes, I would RMA it. For so much money, plus all the hype they give out about "smooth and refined", I would expect perfection.

HTH

Mike

tbessie

Re: This photo suggests there are ...

Post by tbessie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:54 am

Dutchmm wrote:Tim

I was curious what a $400 case looked like, so I went to the OrigenAE site, and found this photo of the back. It looks to me as though you put the screws through the four screw holes closest to the PSU cutout. They do supply screws, for that amount of money, I take it?

Regarding the finish of the surfaces, in your other post, yes, I would RMA it. For so much money, plus all the hype they give out about "smooth and refined", I would expect perfection.

HTH

Mike
Hi, Mike!

Yes, that helped - I had been looking for mounting holes on the side or bottom of the case, and hadn't though about those on the back... yes, I guess that would do it, thanks! I'm looking at a Seasonic or similar Corsir modular PSU for this one.

As for the case - well, I hate the hassel of sending things back, and the tiny imperfection I mentioned - the flushness of the plastic display cover - is the only thing I can see wrong with it at all. As I said, most people wouldn't even notice it, but, yeah, after that much cash, I'd like it all to be perfect.

I don't know if I'll "demand" that I get an RMA (I it from PCAlchemy, and Greg over there has been pretty responsive to my questions), but I'll ask him how he feels about that particular defect, and if he's noticed similar in others of these cases he's seen. Of course, him being the middleman, I'm sure he'd rather not take it back, but it's worth asking. I don't like being pushy, and I *would* like to build the case out this weekend if possible.

On a side note, my audiophile-ish Onyo receiver's plastic display panel *also* isn't perfectly flush with the surface, so maybe this is a pretty common thing?

- Tim