Can a 350W power supply run this computer?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

pneutin

Can a 350W power supply run this computer?

Post by pneutin » Fri May 09, 2008 10:15 am

Got a Dell Inspiron 530 about a week ago with this power supply:

LiteOn 350W with 12A on +12VA and 18A on +12VB

The rest of the system:
Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4ghz
Intel G33/G31 chipset
4gb DDR2 SDRAM (4x1gb sticks)
Nvidia Geforce 8600gt
500gb 7200prm hard drive
16x DVD+/-RW drive
Media card reader/Bluetooth module
Vista Home Basic 32-Bit

I added:
USB mouse and keyboard
Linksys WMP54g wireless PCI card
M-Audio Revo 7.1 sound card

The reason I ask is, I get consistent "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" errors when running any graphics-intensive application. I even get artifacts when viewing pictures in Vista's Photo Gallery app.

I've tried all software-related fixes/updates/drivers, running memory tests, removing 2gb RAM, removing the sound card and wireless card, reseating video card/memory, plugging the computer into a separate dedicated outlet, etc. I even had Dell replace the video card but no luck.

So my question is, would a Corsair HX520 solve my problems, or should I just return this piece of crap Dell? I still have 14 days left on the return period. Thanks for any help

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri May 09, 2008 10:33 am

Have you tried a different (more powerful) PSU on the same machine?

ame

Post by ame » Fri May 09, 2008 11:10 am

I would return it just becaus I cant stand the noisy Dells. My freind got a workstation from them a year ago and while its mosly working fine its noise level is rediculous and most parts are non standard and out dated.

If you know how to build why buy it in the first placeand not build your own? how much did you pay for it? see if you can build somthing nicer for the same price range.

sorry, all this yada and no comment on the PSU.

amyhughes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by amyhughes » Fri May 09, 2008 11:38 am

For diagnosing error messages, Google is your best friend.

You should be able to run that system on 350W with 175W to spare.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Re: Can a 350W power supply run this computer?

Post by merlin » Fri May 09, 2008 11:46 am

I'm going to have to guess that it's more likely video card or mobo related issues. Power supply shouldn't be a reason for issues unless it's providing faulty energy to the video card somehow. Which I don't think it likely as the 8600GT gets all power from the pci-e slot. Definitely less than half the psu power is usually drained by the system and I doubt it would ever go above 200W in this config. Either way since it's made by Dell, why aren't you contacting their support first?

pneutin

Post by pneutin » Fri May 09, 2008 12:56 pm

To MikeC,
I have not tried a different PSU yet. I was considering going to Fry's and getting a Corsair HX520 to try out, hence this post. :-)

To ame,
I built my last computer, but work has been keeping me so busy I didn't want to spend the time to research components. I jumped on Dell's $325 off $999 deal so I ended up paying around $750 after tax. In the end, looks like I might have to build my own anyways.

To amyhughes,
Believe me that's all I've been doing this past week. :) I've read possibly every forum post on this error, even bugged my brother who works tech support for MS but he hasn't heard of this error. I guess he's not part of Vista OS support.

To merlin,
I did contact Dell both over the phone and their online chat support. They all gave the same scripted responses like reinstall the drivers, system restore, reformat and do a clean install of Vista. I tried everything they asked and more just for the sake of ruling it out as a possible cause. One of the Dell techs even went so far as to say that I needed a high end video card, and not my 8600gt, to play Warcraft III. :x They ended up replacing the video card just yesterday but I still get the same errors.

Anyways, the reason I made this post was that I explained my situation on the Nvidia forums, and one of the regulars there said in no uncertain terms that my computer "screams for a LOT more than a 350W PSU". I wanted to consult the experts here at SPCR first. :) Guess I'll go pick up the Corsair HX520 tonight at Fry's and see what happens.

ame

Post by ame » Fri May 09, 2008 2:45 pm

Guess I'll go pick up the Corsair HX520 tonight at Fry's and see what happens.
Guess if it wouldn't work it could become your new system's PSU.
$750 is more than enough to build the same system with posibly better parts.

Joe Public

Post by Joe Public » Tue May 13, 2008 2:04 am

ame wrote:I would return it just becaus I cant stand the noisy Dells. My freind got a workstation from them a year ago and while its mosly working fine its noise level is rediculous and most parts are non standard and out dated.
QFT, we have four Dell servers at work and sometimes I think I need ear protectors when going into the server room. I mean, these things are real 747 jet engines. :shock: