The Corsair 650 & NewEgg Reviews - What's the problem he

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

The Corsair 650 & NewEgg Reviews - What's the problem he

Post by aristide1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:03 pm

Seriously,

If you read the feedback on this PS about every 5th or 6th response is the thing stopped working, and somewhat violently at that. I was looking at this unit because it's probably the largest really quiet one they make and I need it to run 24/7, but I can't have arcing and popping when I'm not home.

Anybody have any insider info?

Thanks

thepwner

Post by thepwner » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:17 pm

I have the 400w Corsair from NewEgg and it's great...I know that isn't exactly the same situation but it's a Corsair and I love it.

hawtfrank

Post by hawtfrank » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:28 am

PSU's from PC Power and Cooling are silent, and very reliable and are better IMO then Corsair PSU's.

The only reason I would buy a Corsair is for their Modular PSU's.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:55 am

When I was shopping for power supplies, I noticed that almost every single PS has at least 1 out of 10 reviews be an angry customer reporting a total failure. This includes the PC P&C power supplies. Here's the reviews for PC P&C 610 watt power supply.

In the first page of 50 reviews, I count 4 total failures, 1 with broken cables, and at least a half dozen very upset to get their rebate claim denied. Of course, in today's economic climate, it's going to get more and more common to get scammed out of a rebate for the simple reason that it's prohibitively expensive to sue a company to get your rebate money back and they gain more business from the promise of a rebate than they lose from the bad reviews for not actually paying out the rebates.

Some companies may be better than others, but it seems there are no truly excellent companies left anymore, just "good" ones, along with a lot of marginal and bad ones.

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:07 pm

AZBrandon wrote:Some companies may be better than others, but it seems there are no truly excellent companies left anymore, just "good" ones, along with a lot of marginal and bad ones.
And no bad product users/reviewers?

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:38 am

hawtfrank wrote:PSU's from PC Power and Cooling are silent, and very reliable and are better IMO then Corsair PSU's.

The only reason I would buy a Corsair is for their Modular PSU's.
Uh sure...if you like LOUD psus. The reason we love corsair is that they make good psus with good warranties that are generally very quiet. I rarely hear about reliability issues with corsair and even when someone has a problem; their customer support is top notch. There's really no major negatives for corsair, just a few models that aren't quite as good as others. But none are generally ever out of ATX spec. I'll care about PC Power when they make some genuinely quiet psus that rival corsair, enermax, nexus, etc.

Joe Public

Post by Joe Public » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:00 am

The Silencers and Seasonic based Corsairs are actually built on the same platform. IMO, Corsair are actually even more meticulous when it comes to their PSUs, and why their models make it to market a bit later because their techs want to make sure they are built to their spec, and them not being an off-the-shelf version of Seasonics (or CWTs) original model.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:12 am

AZBrandon wrote:When I was shopping for power supplies, I noticed that almost every single PS has at least 1 out of 10 reviews be an angry customer reporting a total failure.
Yes, I agree, but note that some power supplies are DOA and some just stop. That's way better than pop, arc, boom! The Enermax that was tested here? That's another one with scary user feedback. Enermax and Thermaltake(?) they seem fine overall, but they have 1 or 2 models that seem to be uh, a little scary? Why? I don't know? Is a 650 a down rated 750, and maybe the parts reduction/capacity wasn't all that adequate? Who knows?

Part of the reason for concerns is that I may leave a folding machine naked - no case. And it runs all the time, ie when I'm not home. I don't want sparks or arcs when I am home, let alone when I'm not. Of course if sparks come out the back of the PS the case won't matter anyway.