Modular quiet PSU above 500W without bottom mounted fan

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Dawgmatix

Modular quiet PSU above 500W without bottom mounted fan

Post by Dawgmatix » Mon May 18, 2009 10:44 am

I have a Chenbro SR107 case which does not play well with with PSU that have fans mounted on the bottom since there is a solid metal plate on which the PSU rests. When I bought the case I got a Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W which has a bottom mounted fan and flipped the PSU so that the fan is on the top and has some breathing room. However the PSU is making a lot of noise and is the loudest sound from my computer.
I am now looking out for quiet power supplies which have a fan at the front or back (for eg the PC Power and Cooling ones). Ideally I would want them to be modular but its not strictly necessary. Any suggestions ?
So far after reading the forums the ones at the top of my list are the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610W and the Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF. Any views on how quiet these are ? Also any other suggestions ?

The system I am powering is a dual opteron 2220 with a tyan s2915 motherboard. Any help on this would be appreciated, my ears will thank you forever :).

petercrab

Post by petercrab » Mon May 18, 2009 11:50 am

put psu in upside down or get rid of crappy case.

Dawgmatix

PSU is already upside down. :)

Post by Dawgmatix » Mon May 18, 2009 12:09 pm

As mentioned in my post, the PSU is flipped right now. Getting rid of the case is not an option as the case is pretty solidly built and gives me no other trouble.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon May 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi, the Antec Neopower and Signature ranges come to mind as 80mm rear fan modular PSUs. Neopower (formerly Neo HE range) come in 430w, 500w, 550w and 650w versions. The 430w version got a favourable review here on SPCR.
The Signature range also got a favourable SPCR review and is Antec's flagship PSU with quality and price to match.
Hope this helps, Seb

Dawgmatix

Thanks for the info

Post by Dawgmatix » Mon May 18, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks for the pointers. I am looking into the Antec signature line now. :)

kaange

Post by kaange » Thu May 21, 2009 8:00 pm

How about cutting a big hole in the plate?

Dawgmatix

Thought about that

Post by Dawgmatix » Fri May 22, 2009 6:46 am

Ideally that would be the best thing, but I live in a small studio in Manhattan and have no access to tools / workshop. Maybe drilling holes in a circular pattern would be more doable.

Dawgmatix

Thanks!!

Post by Dawgmatix » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Thanks for recommending the Antec Signature line. I bought the 650W one and now things are really quiet. Peace finally :)

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:56 pm

I've got a signature 650 too, very happy with it. :D

tmx1

Re: Thanks!!

Post by tmx1 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:45 am

Dawgmatix wrote:Thanks for recommending the Antec Signature line. I bought the 650W one and now things are really quiet. Peace finally :)
!! I feel relieved now!! I just bought the exact same SR107 case and I had a 650W antec PSU with fan mounted on the bottom! and ofcourse I had to put the PSU in reverse so the fan faces the top and yes, the TEMP went through the roof and so did the RPM.

Simply put there is not enough air-flow with only 10-13mm of space between the fan and the ceiling of the case. If i pulled one of the 5.25" plastic brackets from the front bezel the temp would drop back to normal within minutes and the rpm below 900rpm just like it should be at idle.(but of course this is not a good idea for the long term because it disturbs the negative air pressure in the case not to mention the evil dust bunnies get in so easily)

So i started looking for alternative PSU's with rear mounted 80mm fans I realized the best one to get is the Antec Signature 850w since that would logically solve the airflow issue (I just ordered it today)!! getting it tomorrow!
Anyways, I decided to type "chenbro sr107 psu mount" in google and your post came up a few searches down!! So I just wanted to say I'm very happy to hear the Antec signature solved the problem as I thought it would!

BTW.. I wanted to actually cut out a new bracket for the PSU from any old 486 cases I had around so I could properly mount the PSU facing down as it should be, and then cut a large hole in the PSU support plate with my dremel! (yeah heh that would be quite a few hours of work)